Next meeting?

Dan Choi

Jan 3, 2013, 10:14:25 AM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Hi -- I'm a new member & a resident of Cambridge. Are the meetups on regular schedule or more ad hoc?

Daniel Choi

Edward A Kmett

Jan 3, 2013, 11:16:32 AM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the area. :)

The schedule is somewhat ad hoc based on when we can get speakers and, to a lesser degree, when we can get space.

I may put together some material on profunctors and profunctor lenses soon, especially if we can get a second speaker.

We usually try for 2-3 weeks notice and most sessions land in the middle of the week.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Lahey

Jan 3, 2013, 12:42:34 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Would it make sense to have get togethers without a speaker? I would
just like the opportunity to meet other haskell users, even if we
don't have a speaker.

Joe Fredette

Jan 3, 2013, 12:54:23 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, having a regular meeting time like the Boston.rb (from whence I recognize the Dan Choi name) would
make it so that it'd be easier for me to plan to get to. Even if it were just 'come work on projects and eat pizza', that
would be an event worth attending.

/Joe

Edward Kmett

Jan 3, 2013, 2:44:37 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
I'd be open to changing the format to something closer to that if enough people are interested.

-Edward

Chris Lahey

Jan 3, 2013, 2:48:37 PM1/3/13
to bostonhaskell
It could always be some of one and some of the other?

Darius Jahandarie

Jan 3, 2013, 12:52:32 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Could also consider "lightning talks" where people talk for 10 minutes
or so... perhaps more people would be interested in that rather than a
full-blown talk.
--
Darius Jahandarie

Josh Cough

Jan 3, 2013, 3:06:15 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, Seth Tisue and I have been talking about creating a Sunday Morning programming get-together where whoever wants to come can just come, and we'll just code stuff. Be that in Haskell, Scala, JavaScript, doesn't matter. Just shooting this out here to gauge any interest.

Reid Draper

Jan 3, 2013, 2:48:05 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me

Josh Cough

Jan 3, 2013, 3:08:31 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I forgot to mention, it would be much like this NY group: http://www.meetup.com/Functional-Alcoholics/

Dan Choi

Jan 3, 2013, 6:01:43 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
I'm in walking distance of Stata Center and would be keen on a meetup regardless of whether there are speakers or not.

What experience level do the meetups cater to? I've been studying it in my free time for several months & understand and can use Monads, Applicative Functors, Monad Transformers, etc. but not the more esoteric stuff (comonads? profunctors? lenses?, though I am happy to be tutored on all that.

Dan Choi

Jan 3, 2013, 6:03:34 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joe -- Nice to meet another Ruby perp in these parts. Vermonster rocks!

Darius Jahandarie

Jan 3, 2013, 6:54:43 PM1/3/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Dan Choi <dhc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What experience level do the meetups cater to? I've been studying it in my
> free time for several months & understand and can use Monads, Applicative
> Functors, Monad Transformers, etc. but not the more esoteric stuff
> (comonads? profunctors? lenses?, though I am happy to be tutored on all
> that.

The usual format is one beginner-ish-level talk and one
expert-ish-level talk, with a dinner break in the middle, followed by
socialization afterwards at the Cambridge Brewing Co.

As long as you know the basics of Haskell itself and are familiar with
the usual modules (like the ones you listed) I suspect you'll have a
good time.

(It's worth pointing out that the expert-ish-level talk can vary from
requiring around a year of Haskell experience to requiring a lifetime
of study in Category Theory (I'm looking at you Derek). They are
usually grokable though.)

But if the format is changed, it'll probably be a brave new world, who
knows what'll happen. I probably won't be there anyways because
something always seems to happen which prevents me from going.

--
Darius Jahandarie

Edward Kmett

Jan 4, 2013, 11:15:29 AM1/4/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com, boston...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to get the room for a Wednesday a couple of weeks out and send out an announcement.

We can talk there about setting up a more regular schedule and what not.

Sent from my iPad

Gregg Lebovitz

Jan 6, 2013, 11:29:00 AM1/6/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Edward,

Thanks for arranging this. I would like to attend too.

Gregg