This weekend: GAMBIT Gayme Jam!

Darren Torpey

May 10, 2012, 10:32:25 AM5/10/12
to Boston Game Jams
Hi jammers,

Sorry for the late heads-up on this, but there's an awesome game jam coming up this weekend: the first-ever GAMBIT Gayme Jam.

Here's a quick Q+A to explain:

Wait, what? What the heck does that even mean?

In the past, GAMBIT has hosted game jams, digital and non, on a wide variety of subjects of social or political interest, such as the Occupy theme at Boston Game Jam or the recent Equal Pay Jam.

Well, that's what we're doing here, for the awesome glittery* rainbow that is the LGBTQ community. On May 12, 2012, the GAMBIT Game Lab will host a one day cardboard jam dedicated to exploring the many facets of being a queer person in the modern world.
* Note: glitter not compulsory, but highly recommended

What do you want us to make?

Games! Glorious, wonderful games. Life-changing, mind-blowing games!
The goal of this jam is to create board games that deal with or reflect some aspect of life as a queer individual. Now, I know what you're saying. "That's insane! That could be anything! What is wrong with you!" Fear not! We know how crazy huge that topic is. That's why we'll be giving you a few small rules -- a theme, a design challenge -- to help you focus your efforts. But really, the goal is to see just what great ideas you can pull out of that great big field.

Who's going to be there?

Everyone. EVERYONE.

We're very fortunate to have German board game designer Andrea Meyer, published game designer and owner of Bewitched Spiele Games from Berlin, Germany as a keynote speaker to kick off the event and help get your minds racing with ideas.

Also included in 'everyone' are our two celebrity "judges," Jason Toups and Jeremiah Bratton, hosts of the popular gay gaming podcast GaymeBar, who will also be on hand to offer ideas, thoughts, and good-natured ribbing to all and sundry.

~Darren