9/20 Possible Golden-winged Warbler in Newton

Paul Peterson

Sep 20, 2022, 8:41:11 PM9/20/22
to Massbird MASSBIRD, Boston Birds
At 4:30, I was at Hammond Pond Reservation when I pished, hoping something would happen, (like an infusion of warblers perhaps?) Sure enough, several came in. One was what looked like an adult male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER! I didn't have binoculars, but I did have eyes! Two Black and White Warblers, a Black-throated Green Warbler, and others also came in. I was at the mysterious three foot high cement wall in the middle of nowhere, on the edge of what I've heard is an old cranberry bog. I walked along the wall for twenty yards or so and that is the locale. Simply park at the parking lot for The Street at Chestnut Hill (actual name of mall, formerly called the Chestnut Hill Shopping Center). It is near the upscale cinema. Easy to find the entrance into the woods in the back part of said parking lot. Walk down till you get to an opening of the pond, then hug the edge of the wetland and go down a good ways (maybe one-fourth mile) till you see the wall.

Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Black and White Warbler 2
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER 1
Common Yellowthroat 2

P, S, there seemed to be several more warblers over at Houghton Garden, accesible from the end of Suffolk Rd.

Paul Peterson
peterso...@yahoo.com
Boston