11/9 Millennium Park Virginia Rails, White-crowned Sparrows, Pipits, etc.

Paul Peterson

Nov 9, 2021, 5:40:56 PM11/9/21
to Massbird MASSBIRD, Boston Birds
I birded here from 1:00-4:30. I heard the pig-like grunting of a Virginia Rail from the North Basin at 1:15. Later, at dusk, I went back to the area and had a pair calling. One did the pig-like grunts, the other the sharp, loud kidik kidik calls.Both birds this time were in the swamp side of the path that goes behind the North Basin (not in the basin).

Red-tailed Hawk 1
Northern Harrier 1                            in Cutler Park; seen from the top of the hill
Cooper's Hawk 1
Virginia Rail 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
American Pipits 17                           now that this place has been all mowed, it is perfect for this species; feeding on hillside above the footbridge
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
Orange-crowned Warbler 1              a bit beyond football field. in brush on right
FIELD SPARROW 3                         two at tiny stream on road to canoe launch; one other side of park
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW 2   spot where Ted found this fall's first Clay-colored Sparrow
 Swamp Sparrow 6
American Tree Sparrow 6
White-throated Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 20