Wilson's Snipe + Pied-billed Grebe at high school wetland + Brook Farm Reservation

Paul Peterson

Mar 28, 2024, 8:27:00 PMMar 28
to Massbird MASSBIRD, Boston Birds
Yesterday evening, I had barely walked onto the long driveway which leads from V.F.W. Parkway to the former school when I decided to peer into the marsh with my binoculars. Immediately, I had five Wilson's Snipe feeding in the mud close to the driveway. As this was a year bird, I was happy. As I was focused on that one spot, another year bird appeared in my view-Pied-billed Grebe!

High School Wetland in West Roxbury:

Pied-billed Grebe 1
Wood Duck 11
Hooded Merganser 5
Killdeer 5+
Wilson's Snipe 5

Brook Farm Reservation:

Virginia Rail 1      calling
American Woodcock 5        displaying
Great Horned Owl 1            calling
Fox Sparrow 2                   calling at dusk in dense tangles
Swamp Sparrow 3             calling from swamp
White-tailed Deer 1

Paul Peterson
peterso...@yahoo.com
Boston