[ANN] October Main Meeting

Boston.RB Admin

Oct 7, 2016, 1:05:02 PM10/7/16
to Boston Ruby Group
Hi BostonRB!

Registration for October's Main Meeting is now open! You can register here: https://www.meetup.com/bostonrb/events/234095833/. You'll need to join the Meetup group if you haven't already. We had some late cancellations this month, so we've had to adjust the schedule a bit. Our talks this month:

The promise and peril of Agile and Lean Practices

Michael Toppa - @mtoppa

Agile? Scrum? Lean? Kanban? We’ll talk about what you can expect when adopting Agile or Lean practices, and what the differences are between them. We’ll also cover common problems and anti-patterns when adopting Agile and Lean practices. I’ll share some of my experiences, both good and bad, in bringing Lean and Agile practices to different organizations over the years. Adopting these practices can lead to enormous benefits in quality, customer satisfaction, and developer happiness. But they can also involve very painful transitions, they can go wrong if not done carefully, and some practices are difficult to translate to the world of consulting and freelance work.

TBD - You?

We're still looking for another speaker, so if you're interested, please send a proposal in to http://papercall.io/bostonrb.

Thanks, as always to our sponsor Yesware for providing refreshments as well as Brightcove for hosting us.

—Tim

Tim Raymond

Oct 8, 2016, 10:33:34 AM10/8/16
to Boston Ruby Group

Just wanted to let you all know that in addition to Michael Toppa speaking about Agile Practices, we will have Jason Nochlin speaking this Tuesday about implementing Infrastructure-as-Code with Ruby for this Tuesday's meeting! His full talk description is below. You can sign up here: https://www.meetup.com/bostonrb/events/234095833/

Committing to Infrastructure-as-Code

Jason Nochlin - @jasonnochlin

We recently migrated our AWS infrastructure from managing single instances and deploying with Capistrano to a complete “Infrastructure-as-Code” setup where all resources and deploys are configurable via Ruby files. This talk will be an overview of the (mostly) Ruby tools we used in this conversion.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Tim