[ANN] January Meeting

Tim Raymond

Jan 6, 2017, 5:12:55 PM1/6/17
to Boston Ruby Group

Happy New Year BostonRB!

We're thrilled to be back with another month of excellent talks. You can sign up for this month's meeting at https://www.meetup.com/bostonrb/events/236731207/. Speaking this month will be:

Your Emotional API: How Being A Better Human Makes You A Better Developer

John Sawers - @emotionalapi

Feelings are messy and uncomfortable, so why can’t you just ignore them? Because it doesn’t work; you’ll write substandard code and be a suboptimal teammate.

Research shows that emotional regulation skills have a significant impact on your job performance. In this talk you’ll learn how emotions are affecting your work and what you can do about it.

I use the metaphor of an API as a way to talk about how your emotional system functions. We’ll go over some of the code in your emotional API, and how we can refactor it.

This will improve your coding, your relationships, and the arc of your career.

Problem Solved! Using Logic Programming to Find Answers

Gavin McGimpsey - @gavinmcgimpsey

We love Ruby’s object orientation, and you might have heard functional programming is the new hotness. But don’t leave home without one more paradigm! Logic programming frameworks express relations and constraints, allowing us to turn over problem solving work to the computer. With logic programs, we can work with incomplete information, build knowledge systems, and find outputs of a system given whatever inputs are available.

We’ll see a logic program using Ruby, learn about core logic programming approaches, and explore potential applications.

We're always looking for talks for future meetups. Submit your talks on Papercall!

Note: Food and drink will not be provided this month. If you are interested in sponsoring refreshments, please reach out to ad...@bostonrb.org.

As always, thanks to our sponsor Brightcove for providing the space!