[JOB] Ruby on Rails Developer Opening

Charles Forcey

Nov 24, 2016, 10:29:30 AM11/24/16
to Boston Ruby Group

Ruby on Rails Software Developer

Applications due 12/5/2016

Join Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) as we work to make the global energy system more secure, clean, and affordable. Just as the Internet economy transformed society in unexpected ways, the advanced energy economy has the potential to create dramatic new opportunities for economic growth in the U.S. and around the world. In working to create a better business climate for advanced energy, you will have an unprecedented opportunity to work on the cutting edge of energy policy. We are looking for the best and the brightest to join our mission driven team.

We are looking for a Ruby on Rails developer to join our small but growing agile (Scrum) development team.

You’ll work on a variety of web projects, from implementing interactive front-ends to designing and building back-end solutions. Working closely with our Vice President of Product Development and Senior Software Architect, you will contribute to our PowerSuite policy platform that includes a data store larger than the English Wikipedia, a state of the art data pipeline stretching from a Python based scraping engine to a Ruby on Rails front end application, an Elasticsearch full text search service and integrations with both Microsoft Azure's and AWS' machine learning services.

PowerSuite allows our customers (such as, but not limited to: Opower, Apple, Microsoft, GE, SolarCity and EnerNOC) to identify and manage energy policy risks and opportunities across the country.

Our development team is distributed across the Greater Boston Area and we are committed to working from our local Boston office at least once a week for retrospective and sprint planning sessions but enjoy flexible remote work the rest of the week.

Experience:

  • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
  • Minimum 2 years experience with Ruby on Rails in a production environment or coding bootcamp equivalent
  • Agile (Scrum, weekly sprints) and Test Driven Development
  • Excellent knowledge of Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML and CSS
  • Git version control

Ability to:

  • Work with our development team and other internal and external customers in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment
  • Communicate clearly with other members of the team, both internal and external, and work on multiple projects under light supervision

Additional Desirable Qualifications:

  • Experience working with a geographically dispersed team
  • Experience in the Advanced or Clean Energy public or private sectors
  • Passion for AEE’s mission of moving the world to a secure, clean, affordable energy future
  • While your core responsibilities will center around Ruby on Rails, experience with other languages (Python, Objective-C), technologies (Elasticsearch, jQuery, Bootstrap.js, React.js) and platforms (HubSpot, Salesforce) is a big bonus. In general we prefer Ruby on Rails but we encourage use of new technologies if they help to uniquely solve a problem.
  • Experience building supervised and unsupervised machine learning (ML) models with applications in areas such as document classification and sentiment analysis
  • Experience and interest in visualization technologies such as Kibana, machine learning services like AWS Prediction API, and statistical data analysis experience such as (R) will be especially desirable
  • Experience deploying applications to Heroku and/or AWS

Compensation:

AEE pays competitive salaries, which are dependent on individual experience.

Benefits:

Flexible work schedule (including telecommuting options) with ability to attend sprint planning/design days at least one day a week in Boston area, generous health insurance plans from which to choose, a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution, and the availability of an annual performance-based bonus.

Special Application Instructions:

To apply, you must submit:

  • Your resume
  • A cover letter explaining:
  • Why you are interested in the position
  • Why you are a great fit for the job
  • What makes you a stand out candidate