Fwd: Please help and contact your legislator for Dark Sky before Oct 31

Matthew Kamm

Oct 18, 2023, 3:49:32 PM10/18/23
to boston-biodiver...@googlegroups.com

I thought that it may have been a no vote again this year, but a vote on the "Dark Sky Bill",  H.3164 and S.2102- An Act to improve outdoor lighting, conserve energy, and increase dark-sky visibility, has been rescheduled. A vote is to take place in the TUE committee on October 31. Zoo New England has expressed their support directly to the Mass. State Legislature, along with co-signing an environmental letter of support led by Sierra Club Mass, to the Telecommunication, Utilities, and Energy Committee (TUE) for the Dark-Sky Bills. Not only will this bill decrease some of the rapid rate of light pollution but it will also help in decreasing global warming.

If you are interested in why this conservation topic is important, please review this presentation given to the ZNE volunteer department this past year
Please consider communicating to your representatives and also TUE Co-Chairs Sen. Michael Barrett (Mike.B...@masenate.gov) and especially Rep. Jeffrey Roy (Jeffr...@mahouse.gov) your support for this bill.
This is a link to find your local representatives by a map of MA. After selecting where you live, you can then click on their name and it will bring you to their page that will include an address or email link: https://malegislature.gov/search/findmylegislator
Personal communications why this topic is important to you is usually better than a mass-produced email or letter, but I have attached a quick communication that may also work if you are struggling to come up with some ideas. This "snail mail" letter attached to this email can be adjusted for email correspondence.

I am asked many times about the light shows and ZNE concerning this initiative.
  • Please remember this bill and conservation effort is about working with long-term permanent lighting.
  • The light shows are temporary and the lights are shut down for the overnight hours, preserving the night sky.
  • The revenue acquired through these shows will allow us to highlight all of our important conservation efforts in the future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have!

PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING. YOU CAN TRULY MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

Jean Orlando CVT, LATG, BSc (Wildlife/Fisheries Bio)

Veterinary Technician

Department of Animal Health and Conservation

ZooNewEnglandcom1

Office: 617-989-2047
1 Franklin Park Road | Boston, MA 02121

http://www.zoonewengland.org/media/1266114/FranklinParkZooFacebook.jpghttp://www.zoonewengland.org/media/1266113/StoneZooFacebook.jpg http://www.zoonewengland.org/media/1266116/ZooNewEnglandInstagram.jpg http://www.zoonewengland.org/media/1266115/ZooNewEnglandTwitter.jpg
zoonewengland.org | DONATE
Zoo New England's mission is to inspire people to protect and sustain the natural world for future generations by creating fun and engaging experiences that integrate wildlife and conservation programs, research, and education. AZA accredited.

sample letter to MA legislator (1) (1) (1).pdf