Fwd: Queenless in Malden

Gregory Marton

Apr 27, 2024, 3:45:40 PMApr 27
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
I am a hobby beekeeper with just one colony. Checking on them today, I
found no eggs or larvae. I may have killed the queen on my visit two
weeks ago, in which all I thought I did was clean the bottom board and
add two formic pro strips.

They still have a strong population today, plenty of food, but they're
on the last of their emerging brood. I found three small queen cups,
all empty, so it doesn't look like a laying worker will save the day.
They looked mostly healthy otherwise.

Advice? Leads on a queen on short notice?

Thank you,
Grem

Gregory A. Marton (he/him)
Cell: 617-858-0775

Light Flash

Apr 27, 2024, 3:51:38 PMApr 27
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
I am no expert by any means. However, I lost a queen last year after a double formic pro treatment and will only go one at a time in the future! I am very sorry to hear the news. New queen stat is the way to go. Bill or Mark can point you in the right direction. Good luck! Jorge
--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers
---

Kathy Balestrier

Apr 28, 2024, 10:32:28 AMApr 28
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gregory

If you use only one formic pad the treatment does not get under brood cappings not an effective way to treat.

The Colony in Tyngsboro has alot of mated nice queens. They are located at 7 Locust Ave Tyngsboro MA

Kathy