Adding boxes

Tyler Jenkins

May 27, 2021, 7:23:22 AM5/27/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know why, but I had it in my head that the decision to add a second deep is made on the basis of how much capped brood, pollen and honey is in the first box. Not sure how I missed this for 6 years, but apparently the “rule” is actually based on how much drawn comb there is. So, here’s my question…

After thoroughly checking each frame for any signs of swarming, and finding none, I added a second deep to a very robust hive. However, the frames I gave them are already fully drawn out, with a couple frames of honey on the ends. By this rule that I found, that would mean that it’s time to add a super, because the comb is already drawn. That can’t be true though, right? What sign would you guys use to determine the best time to throw on a super?

Thank you,
Tyler

Sent from my iPhone