2 mites in a Buckfast package

Mark Lewis

Mar 27, 2024, 12:20:26 PMMar 27
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Dear Beeks,

Quick note-- I found 2 varroa mites in one of the Buckfast packages that arrived this weekend (destined for observation hives with the nonprofit classroomhives.org). I did a standard alcohol wash of two Buckfast packages and only found mites in the one. Also sampled a VSH package and found zero mites.

As we discussed in the BABA class, an infestation this early in the season can lead to disaster. The good news is that oxalic is quite effective in this period when all cells are  open.

My plan is to wait a little over a week before treating both Buckfast packages, in order to allow for the queen to emerge and lay eggs and demonstrate her fertility to the bees. (Oxalic can disrupt her laying for about a week.)

Mark