Dearth Invaders

Mark Lewis

Jul 8, 2021, 9:19:45 PM7/8/21
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Hi beeks,

For the past week I've been putting honey + comb in a dish outside a window to attract scouts as an indicator of the onset of our usual July nectar dearth. Today, despite the drizzly conditions, I spotted the first one. So I would recommend trying to avoid deep hive dives in Boston are for the next 2-3 weeks. They are unlikely to swarm during a dearth and won't need supers. Populations have been peaking and many foragers are likely to be home and they can sometimes come across as a lil grumpy, hangry.

Best,
Mark

D83F1B1E-80D3-430F-B118-674FB1D9EAB9_1_105_c.jpeg