Hurricane coming!

Suzanne

Aug 20, 2021, 3:17:31 PM8/20/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

My partner and I were looking in on our hives today, and of course the upcoming weather report is much on our minds. High winds and torrential rain may be around the corner.

We want to do what we can to protect our hives during extreme weather. At this time, we have some good heavy bricks on the lid, but we'd like to know what other beekeepers are doing?

We have nice southeast exposure, and unfortunately we know tropical storms can come in from that direction so that's the main thing we're worried about.

When we get closer to the arrival of the weather we'll have an idea of whether it's looking at 40 mph winds or 50 or higher. Supposing it comes in at 50? What do we think is necessary to keep the hive from getting overturned in that weather?

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Suzanne and Sadie

Phillip Thomas

Aug 20, 2021, 3:20:42 PM8/20/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
This morning I strapped all my hives to the stand and put extra weight on the top.

Sent from my iPhone.
Pls forgive small typo's and such.

On Aug 20, 2021, at 3:17 PM, Suzanne <queenje...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers
---

Joshua Kruger

Aug 20, 2021, 3:46:41 PM8/20/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
I strapped my hives which sits on cinder blocks.   In addition, I temporarily added the entrance reducer which will mitigate the amount of wind driven rain if you face the southeast.  If you are really concerned you could put an A-frame made from plywood like the ones used to protect shrubs from heavy snow in the winter..  A chain attached and driven into the ground with tent spikes keeps them from blowing away but that's most likely overkill given the winds are only Cat 1.