NYTimes: Honeybees Invaded My House, and No One Would Help

Tom Rudick

Apr 30, 2024, 10:04:38 AMApr 30
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Read this article this morning.

There are definitely valid points about imported bees competing with native pollinators. However, the headline feels like an exaggeration of the situation. I definitely thought that this was going to be a story about a cut out at least.

Understandable that many people are uncomfortable around bees and especially understandable with young children.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Mark Lewis

Apr 30, 2024, 12:41:19 PMApr 30
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting this for discussion. As a health care reporter, Kliff seems to have missed an opportunity to explore overlapping benefits between honeybees, native bees, and humans including concerns about pesticides of all sorts (fungicides, insecticides, and herbicides). I tend to think of the native bee as the smaller sibling of the honeybee, benefitting from many of the same legal protections mandated directly on the labels of pesticides. Kliff seems to have missed the opportunity to explore that question as well as the downstream benefit to our families from any restrictions on the quick point-and-shoot mentality.

I'd imagine T. Seeley would have happily spoken about these overlapping pesticide and human health issues if Kliff had inquired.

Kliff seems to have preferred to take a narrow angle. Honestly it's an approach I'd expect more from someone in real estate than from someone who specializes in health care. And yet, in taking that narrow angle, the article still may have fallen short. For instance, building requirements that mandate filling cavities with insulation (such as the wall next to her child's bedroom) can go far toward eliminating this issue and have other side benefits of keeping out various critters (squirrels), increase energy efficiency, etc.

Mark

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers
---

Angela Roell

Apr 30, 2024, 1:54:16 PMApr 30
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
This and that Washington Post article proliferate poor journalism. The way, the native and honeybee populations continue to be pitted against each other for the sake of lifestyle journalism is a tired narrative that lacks nuance. The fickle saviorism of all of it is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse errors and auto correct.

Joshua Kruger

May 7, 2024, 9:00:12 AMMay 7
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
So, I was taking a year off from beekeeping but yesterday I had a large swarm take over one of my vacant hives.  Is there anything special I should do other than the normal spring feeding?  I had not cleaned out the hive but I assume they will take care of it. Is that accurate?  Thanks for any guidance.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 10:04 AM Tom Rudick <tmru...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tal Reichert

May 7, 2024, 9:56:31 AMMay 7
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com

Mark Lewis

May 7, 2024, 10:34:59 AMMay 7
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua,

Lucky! Congratulations. That has only happened to me once, a few years ago.

I would recommend signing up with MDAR and asking them to take a look asap to be sure all is good in there.

You shouldn't need to feed them this spring.

Mark

Joshua Kruger

May 7, 2024, 11:53:56 AMMay 7
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com