My lively hive

Mary Glenn

Apr 10, 2021, 9:58:04 PM4/10/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Seeking advice. My hive appears lively after the winter, but I've seen only one bee bringing in pollen over 4-5  10-minute observations. Today I opened it up. I found several frames of capped honey, and yes, the queen. She seems extremely lethargic.  There is about 2 square inches of brood, a couple of larva. ( I'm not good at spotting eggs-too small)  I didn't see any queen cells.
Any suggestions out there?
Mary

Mark Lewis

Apr 11, 2021, 7:32:46 AM4/11/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary,

That is concerning. I've seen a lot of pollen coming in, including some that is a strange beautiful dark blue.  2 days ago found a few drones already out walking the comb and capped drone brood (+worker brood). I'm feeding and looking to make splits pretty soon.

What I would say about your situation is that the bees are well-aware of it and will no doubt try to find a remedy. This might be best. Especially until you can determine whether she's begun laying eggs now, after a period of dormancy.

Obviously you could try to order another queen but this time of year will need to come from far away: CA or GA.

How about this idea: if one of us happens to find a capped queen cell in the next couple weeks, contact Mary to discuss replacing her queen and placing the cell into her hive...???

Best,
Mark

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers
---

Mary Glenn

Apr 11, 2021, 7:39:18 AM4/11/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Great idea, Mark. Thanks. I'd be happy to accept a capped queen cell. Yes, the bees were defensive around their feeble queen.
Mary

Jared Tausig

Apr 11, 2021, 8:21:51 AM4/11/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com

noah.m...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 10:11:10 PM4/19/21
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Hi all,
I'm in a similar situation. I've got a queenless hive that doesnt have long to live. If anybody finds any swarm cells, I would appreciate one. Or if anyone is driving down to Ct to get a queen from Cedar Lane, please let me know.
-Noah

Mary Glenn

Apr 20, 2021, 7:47:41 AM4/20/21
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Noah,
I was planning to get a queen from Cedar Lane (they have a RI location as well that is a bit closer), but they reminded me that you need enough bees to keep queen and brood warm.  I have maybe only 2 + frames of bees...they are pretty thin, so I decided  to merge with the package I ordered in January when I get those.
Good luck.
Mary