assistance splitting a hive

ayla gavins

Apr 5, 2022, 1:21:12 PM4/5/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow bee keepers,
I'd love to avoid catching my swarmed bees this year by splitting the hive before they take off. I've never done it before and would really appreciate some guidance.  Anyone interested and able to assist me? I'm thinking of doing this in the first week of May.
Be well,
Ayla

paul mueller

Apr 5, 2022, 1:58:45 PM4/5/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
What does the top of the hive look like? Do you have a solid dome of honey? If so and you have another box with empty comb, you could take out half the empties from the empty box and half the comb with honey and swap them so you get a pattern in both boxes where it is honey, empty, honey, empty, honey, empty, honey, empty and add a box that way. The breakup of the solid dome of honey should suppress swarming for awhile and give you more time to get your nuc ready. It will also focus the hive on foraging, not swarming. It's called checkerboarding. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-checkerboard-a-hive/

I get my best results on splits when I take out the split frames at about 12:00-1:00pm on a nice, warm, sunny day. Then you will mostly have nurse bees on your brood. The foragers will be out gathering and if you do get them they will probably end up back with the queen anyway. Just make sure you know where the queen is when you take the split frames. You don't want to move her to the split by accident. Take a nice mix of brood, honey and pollen, especially pollen. It's easier to feed more honey than pollen. Whatever you move over is what they are going to live on until they raise a new queen. Or, you could buy a queen and cut down the hive without waiting for them to raise a new one, just introduce the new queen slowly, then you don't have to run the risk of raising a new queen. Not exactly a split but the downsizing should suppress swarming too and you end up with a new nuc anyway, and you know exactly what genetics you got rather than the new queen being fertilized by who knows what drones.

--
Visit us at our website: http://www.bostonbeekeepers.org & on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BostonBeekeepers
---

paul mueller

Apr 5, 2022, 2:02:52 PM4/5/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I can't help in person but I hope the tips help.

On Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 01:20:00 PM EDT, ayla gavins <ayla....@gmail.com> wrote:

ayla gavins

Apr 5, 2022, 2:43:20 PM4/5/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Paul. Your tips are very helpful!

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 5, 2022, 5:39:41 PM4/5/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,
I am no expert, but I did split my hive back in 2019, and I would be happy to help you with this.
I had a beekeeping friend help me at the time and took copious notes.
Where are your hives located?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jennifer

Jennifer J. Yanco, PhD
Author of Misremembering Dr. King
16 Monument Street
Medford, MA 02155
jjy...@gmail.com

Justice is indivisible. If it is accorded to some and not others it is not justice but privilege.   Gary Younge

ayla gavins

Apr 7, 2022, 7:44:08 PM4/7/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jennifer,
I would love your help!
My hives are in Dorchester.
Is Dorchester within reach for your travels?
Best,
Ayla

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 8, 2022, 2:44:11 PM4/8/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,
It sounds like you have more than one hive; lucky you! I would be happy come over to Dorchester to meet you and your hives.
I  am thinking that for the split, though, we should wait until it's warmer. When I split my hive a few years ago, it was in the mid-sixties and from my notes, it seems that that was even a bit cool. I should say that I let the new hive make its own queen. In this case, it works best if you have already noted queen cells in the hive you want to split. If you are planning to provide a queen, I think the temperature is less critical.  Here is an article that may be helpful. Although it follows a much more regimented way of doing things than I did, it does suggest even higher temperatures.
I will also check with Bill Perkins; he is a super wise beekeeper.
By the way, where are you in Dorchester?

ayla gavins

Apr 9, 2022, 2:35:57 PM4/9/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Jennifer.
I live on Ashmont Hill, Welles Avenue.
I was thinking about splitting the hive in the first week of May.
Best,
Ayla

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 9, 2022, 2:44:08 PM4/9/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
That should work. We can keep an eye on the weather and then set a day. Usually late morning/early afternoon is best for this.

Looking forward to meeting you and your bees,

Andrew Berg

Apr 9, 2022, 3:41:24 PM4/9/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,

I think it would be a mistake to wait until you see queen cells before splitting. I would suggest a simple walk away split as described here:

I'm actually in your neighborhood. Please contact me privately if you'd like to meet up some time.

Andy Berg

ayla gavins

Apr 18, 2022, 7:47:26 AM4/18/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jennifer,
Are you available next Sunday, Monday or Tuesday for the hive split?
I had a hive inspection done by the state and was advised to split it before May if I wanted to avoid a swarm.
I'm flexible all morning/day on Monday and Tuesday next week. On Sunday after 12:00 I'm open.
Best,
Ayla

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 18, 2022, 7:45:26 PM4/18/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,
That's great that you had an inspection by the state. I assume they thought it looked good for splitting.
Let's aim for Monday mid to late morning. Can we check in over the weekend?
I just hived a new packet of bees and am hoping it won't be too cold tonight for their first night in their new home. Excited to hear buzzing in the garden again--my bees wintered over and then were done in by the cold when I unwrapped the hive too early. Live and learn.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 19, 2022, 9:31:11 PM4/19/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,
I thought I answered you, but now I can't find any trace of it, so maybe I just planned to answer  you.
I'm thinking Monday will be best. I would say midday, but we'll have to keep an eye on the weather. Feel free to text me at 781-696-8426.
Looking forward to meeting you and your bees.

ayla gavins

Apr 19, 2022, 10:34:31 PM4/19/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jennifer,
You did reply. Monday would be great.
Best,
Ayla

ayla gavins

Apr 24, 2022, 2:22:52 PM4/24/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jennifer,
It looks like the temp won't get above 50 until late after on Monday.
Are you able to come over between 3:30 and 4:30?
Best,
Ayla

Jennifer Yanco

Apr 24, 2022, 5:40:19 PM4/24/22
to boston-beek...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayla,
Yes, that should be okay, but let’s check in in the morning.

Jennifer

Sent from my iPhone