Swarm List 2024

Bill Perkins

May 10, 2024, 8:58:41 PMMay 10
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
Hi Beeks --

We are in the early days of swarm season, and it will begin to skyrocket in the next few weeks.  Get your swarm-catching equipment ready -- every second counts when catching a swarm.

BABA maintains a texting-based list of beeks who'd like to be notified when a swarm is reported in the metro-Boston area -- appropriately titled the Swarm Catchers List.

Here's how it works:
  1. A BABA member will create and manage the list.  They'll enter the telephone numbers of everyone who wants to be on the Swarm Catchers List (SCL) into a group text list.  When anyone on the SCL sends a text to the group, everyone in the group receives the same text at the same time.
  2. If a beekeeper on the SCL receives a call from a homeowner, the City, an exterminator,..., and if the beekeeper can go get the swarm promptly, then they do not engage the SCL;
  3. If a beekeeper on the list hears about a swarm (call them Beek 1), and if Beek 1 can not get the swarm, they pull up the SCL on their phone and send a text to the group.  The text includes the vicinity of the swarm, and any other helpful identifiers like height, topography, size, approximate time swarm arrived;
  4. If someone on the list can commit to going after the swarm (call them Beek 2), they will text back to the SCL that they will go.  Beek 1, seeing Beek 2's text, will share the swarm's address and contact information with Beek 2, and only with Beek 2.  This helps avoid having multiple people show up to catch a single swarm.
  5. If Beek 2 realizes they can not catch the swarm, for whatever reason, they 1) notify anyone who might have volunteered to catch the swarm when the initial announcement was made or, if there is no one to notify, they 2) text the SCL to notify everyone that the swarm is still available.  Beek 2 now watches for a response, and shares the swarm's contact info and location with the first respondent.  Please keep the person who initially reported the swarm up to date.
SO, if you want to be on the list, text Bill at 617-388-7378 asap.  You must be a BABA member in good standing to be included in the list.

A feature we'd like to add to BABA's website soon is a list of BABA members who'd like their town and telephone number listed so when someone calls about a swarm, the caller will be able to quickly identify the swarm catcher nearest the swarm.  Please email  your town and telephone number to Bill at ws...@comcast.net if you'd like to be included on this list.

I hope this is logical.  Feel free to call if you have questions, or would like some help with texting and group texts.  And apologies if this is a repeat -- I've tried three times since Monday to post this....

--Bill
-- Bill Perkins 617-388-7378 (m)

Pam Phillips

Jun 4, 2024, 12:35:37 PMJun 4
to Boston Area Beekeepers Association
I have a report of a swarm in Watertown. Is that something the swarm list can handle?

Thanks,
Pam Phillips