TKB 2023 Queen School Enrolling NOW!

Angela Roell

Mar 29, 2023, 5:07:17 PM3/29/23
to Boston Beekeepers Club

Hi BABA,

Our second year of hands-on Queen School is coming up and we’re super excited to share the details with you below.

Similar to last season, we’re inviting a group of aspiring beekeepers into our teaching apiary to learn the ins and outs of the queen rearing process.  We’ll cover every part of the process that is required to start raising your own queen bees.  This will include making “splits,” building cell-raisers, grafting, and catching queens.  There will be time to internalize your learning at an evening campfire, and spend time with other students to share thoughts and ideas during dinner and breaks.

We listened to the feedback of last year’s cohorts by reducing the amount of weekends to commit to, and increasing access to scholarships, travel and childcare stipends for this year’s participants.

You can see our video for more about Queen School HERE.

This year we’re offering this work to a single cohort of students who will come for two intensive weekend sessions (May 27th-28th and July 1st-2nd).  We’re offering an optional advanced session for students from 2022 & 2023 to come together and learn about advanced topics in beekeeping (July 29th-30th).

We’re super excited to be welcoming guest teachers from around the country.  We have the pleasure of hosting Melanie Kirby of Zia Queen Bees for a second year in a row as she discusses queen selection and culture-building during our first weekend in May, Julia Mahood of Map My DCA will be teaching us all about finding and identifying drone congregation areas during the advanced session at the end of July, and Megan Mahoney will be performing an instrumental insemination demonstration during the advanced session as well.  We (Ang and Bi) will be teaching during both the May 27th-28th and July 1st-2nd sessions as well, and onsite to host for all three weekends.

We will also be accepting payment as a sliding scale.  Due to NESARE’s (Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education) grant funding, we are able to offer a sliding scale payment option to all participants.  We do ask for a full commitment to attending both of the weekend sessions.

We’re looking forward to continuing to build and extend the community that has developed over the past year, and we look forward to receiving your application of interest.

You can apply to the program HERE.

You can read more about the program, and the syllabus HERE.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.  We look forward to hearing from you.

With heart,

--
Ang Roell, MS Curriculum, Instruction and Evaluation