Issue 320 in better-oblivion-sorting-software: Using BOSS on multiple instances of Skyrim

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Jul 9, 2013, 12:25:42 AM7/9/13
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 320 by NeoQuant...@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple instances of
Skyrim
http://code.google.com/p/better-oblivion-sorting-software/issues/detail?id=320

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1.Creating a copy of vanilla Skyrim in another drive
2.Installing different mods on other Skyrim
3.running BOSS to change load order

Boss sorted the mods for the original installation of Skyrim instead of the
copy.

2.1.1

The copy of Skyrim has different mods installed than the original.
I tried opening skyrim loader from the copy of Skyrim before running BOSS.
I installed BOSS in the same location as the copy of skyrim but with same
results.

issue notifications to this address.

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Jul 10, 2013, 1:56:53 AM7/10/13
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 320 by a.el...@covad.net: Using BOSS on multiple
Do you mean skse_loader.exe or SkyrimLauncher.exe?
They are two very different processes and do not do the same things.
Besides that, I don't think it's possible to run more than a single Skyrim.

Assuming that multiple copies of Skyrim can even be played on the same
machine, you would have to run the SkyrimLauncher.exe and exit before
trying to run BOSS.

It makes no difference where you installed BOSS or even if you have
multiple installs. BOSS reads the registry entry for the game path, not
the folder it's in.

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Jul 10, 2013, 2:11:29 AM7/10/13
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 320 by NeoQuant...@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple
I am using skse_loader.exe It is possible to have multiple instances of
skyrim with different mods installed. I got it to work but the only problem
I had was getting BOSS to work with the other Skyrim.

I did run the SkyrimLauncher.exe before running BOSS but it only worked for
the original installation.

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Jul 23, 2013, 5:35:14 PM7/23/13
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 320 by WrinklyN...@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple
BOSS uses the Registry to find where your copy of Skyrim is installed - you
can also install the BOSS folder so that it's next to a copy's Data folder
and it should run for that copy, but I can't recall if that would confuse
it or not.

I'd recommend some sort of multiple install manager that swaps out mods,
save files and stuff like plugins.txt, loadorder.txt, etc. from your main
Skyrim install and some sort of storage somewhere, because otherwise things
will probably get mixed up at some point.

BOSSv3 has better support for multiple copies, but it doesn't stop the game
from always using the same plugins.txt (and it'll use the accompanying
loadorder.txt), so something needs to handle that still.

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Feb 2, 2014, 7:32:38 AM2/2/14
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 320 by WrinklyN...@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2014, 10:35:01 AM2/27/14
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 320 by vignesh....@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple
Uh, could you delete the registry files each time you ran BOSS?

Like, delete the reg files for the location of Skyrim, run
SkyrimLauncher.exe in the path of the install you want to use and then run
BOSS, so it will work for that path? Because the SkyrimLauncher.exe seems
to use the registry as well, regardless of where you run it from.

better-oblivion-...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2014, 10:51:11 AM2/27/14
to BOSS-BetterOblivi...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 320 by vignesh....@gmail.com: Using BOSS on multiple
Can confirm, this works. I use SkyRe with over 60+ mods on one installation
and Requiem with over 20 on the other. If OP shows interest I'll include
explicit steps. (sorry 'bout that potential people seeing this from google)