Issue with Visibroker 4.5's load balancing facility

Kunal

Feb 17, 2003, 9:29:22 AM2/17/03
From the VisiBroker examples of load balancing I've seen, it appears that
load balancing is accessed from the client, rather than the server. Typical
clustering examples show the client creating a cluster and binding, while
the server is a simple, standard CORBA server.

Is this an approximately accurate description?

My question arises because I've seen in other ORBs like Orbix, load
balancing is enabled at the server, and clients are unaware of this feature.
They simply request the Naming Service for a server, and get it, without
being aware that the server instance they connect to may or may not be load
balanced.

The context of my question is this: I'm writing a CORBA client (using
Orbacus) that is meant to interoperate with CORBA servers running on varied
ORBs. Therefore, my Orbacus CORBA app (a client actually), simply requests
the (Visibroker) NS for a new IOR with each invocation. It does not care if
the CORBA server its connecting to is load balanced. It assumes that the IOR
it receives from the Naming Service each time will be valid.

When testing it with VisiBroker, I came upon a curious error - if one of the
servers in a VisiBroker cluster goes down, the NS continues to return its
invalid IOR to my CORBA app. Is this because my CORBA client app does not
have the necessary VisiBroker-specific code to create a cluster and bind to
it?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Kunal