network address translation

1 view

donalm...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 21, 2006, 11:15:22 AM12/21/06

I'm using the Visibroker ORB. My scenario is as follows:

There are 2 CORBA services, mine and my customer's. My CORBA server is
hosting a single remote (servant) object. When my server starts it
calls a registration method on the client's service, and passes a
reference to my servant, so that it can be called back by my customer's
service.

My problem is as follows:

My customer is using NAT to access the machine that my service is
running on, but (presumably) the reference to my servant that is passed
contains the real IP of my machine, which my customer cannot access. Is
there any way that I can change the IP contained within the reference I
pass, so that it appears to come from the address that my customer
translates to my real address?

A solution that doesn't require me to use Borland's Gatekeeper product
would be preferable :)

Many thanks in advance,
Donal

je...@dunnsolutions.com

Jan 16, 2007, 11:40:30 AM1/16/07
The only way I know to get by the NAT is one of three options
1) Using GateKeeper
2) Writting your own broker - like gatekeeper that will pass the
transaction for you
3) Some NATs allow portfowarding that will allow packets to a given
port get redirected to a specific IP address

All of the above will work for VisiBroker. I prefer 2 or 3 unless you
will not have alot of volume and then GateKeeper works ok.

Jeff Swisher
Dunn Solutions Group

ke_...@yahoo.com

Jan 16, 2007, 1:55:05 PM1/16/07
You should be able to get answer from manual or user guide. I recall
that there is a vbroker property designed for this purpose (NAT
support) that allows one to specify an alternative host string to
appear in IORs (not what the server actually listen on).

Regards,
Ke