VDB7.0 UPDATE?

ED GILLER

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

Anyone know when the 1st patch will be released?

I could really use it.

Thanks.

Charity Slepcevic

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

Gary White wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 00:40:22 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
> Mayer) wrote:
>
> >Ken Mayer and Carolyn J. Eaton
> >http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv
>
> Lemme see... Is this good news, or bad news. Ken's posting a lot of
> messages from home. Does that mean he's working so hard that he has
> to work at home? Or is it good news: At least he gets to go home
> now. <vbg>
>
> Gary

I would hazard to guess that Carolyn may have proposed an amendment to
the household arrangements <VBG>.

Charity

bot food: http://www.e-scrub.com/cgi-bin/wpoison/wpoison.cgi
Remove NoJunkMail and replace with slepcevc

Charity Slepcevic

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

> On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:54:00 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
> Mayer) wrote:
>

> It means I am not working at Borland anymore ...

Ken, I am sorry to hear this. I know you will do well in your endeavors
and am glad that we will still be hearing from you around these forums.

Charity

PS - I think Borland is loosing a valuable asset!

Ken Mayer

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

"ED GILLER" <edgi...@nais.com> wrote:

>Anyone know when the 1st patch will be released?

"Soon" ... that's all anyone can tell you.

>I could really use it.

So can I ...
---

Gary White

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Mayer) wrote:

>Ken Mayer and Carolyn J. Eaton
>http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv

Lemme see... Is this good news, or bad news. Ken's posting a lot of

messages from home. Does that mean he's working so hard that he has
to work at home? Or is it good news: At least he gets to go home
now. <vbg>

Gary

Some dBASE Stuff at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/GaryWhite/

Ken Mayer

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

dontsp...@qni.com (Gary White) wrote:

>Lemme see... Is this good news, or bad news. Ken's posting a lot of
>messages from home. Does that mean he's working so hard that he has
>to work at home? Or is it good news: At least he gets to go home
>now. <vbg>

It means I am not working at Borland anymore ...

Ken
---

Gary White

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Mayer) wrote:

>It means I am not working at Borland anymore ...

Sorry to hear that. It is a loss for BI, but I'm glad you're still
hanging out here.

Ken Mayer

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

dontsp...@qni.com (Gary White) wrote:

>Sorry to hear that. It is a loss for BI, but I'm glad you're still
>hanging out here.

Well, I still like the product, even if it's not my responsibility to
test it anymore ... <G> So I'm still keeping an eye on things. And I
still learn from other people's messages ... (always have)

Gerald Fay

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

In article <3501a9fa...@forums.borland.com>, dontsp...@qni.com
says...

> On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 00:40:22 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
> Mayer) wrote:
>
> >Ken Mayer and Carolyn J. Eaton
> >http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv
>
> Lemme see... Is this good news, or bad news. Ken's posting a lot of
> messages from home. Does that mean he's working so hard that he has
> to work at home? Or is it good news: At least he gets to go home
> now. <vbg>
>
> Gary
>
> Some dBASE Stuff at:
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/GaryWhite/

Actually it appears to be mixed.
Ken lost his mail address for CIS from Borland.
Maybe at some point he will enlighten us on what is going on, but I have
a bad feeling.
--
Gerald Fay
gj...@msn.com

Charity Slepcevic

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Ken Mayer wrote:

> Thanks. It was a bit of a surprise, but I think things will be well. I
> have a very active headhunter, who has already gotten me 2 interviews
> (Monday was my last day at BI, Tuesday I had an interview, Friday I
> had another, Thursday I picked up the offer from the first interview,
> am waiting to see the offer (if any) from the second ... compare notes
> ... <G>)

> >PS - I think Borland is loosing a valuable asset!
>
> Thank you ... not my decision, but things will work out fine ...
>
> Ken

Actually, and I bet your headhunter has probably told you this already,
but being layed off on a Monday is much better than say a Friday.
Statistically, Monday layoffs have a higher percentage of rapid returns
to the job market. They can do like what you did - set up interviews
for the very next day whereas Friday layoffs have the entire weekend to
do nothing but brood and possibly get mad.

I'll take the bet that you have at *least* two job offers before you
decide which one *you* want! Keep us posted, okay?

And one last thing. TeamB folks, I believe you need to nominate the
applicants for TeamB-hood. Maybe Ken should be nominated along with
Ross? Or would that be considered tacky (Hubbans always tells me I do
not have enough tact, so if it is tacky, please accept my apologies in
advance)?

Best of luck to you,

Charity

bot food: http://www.e-scrub.com/cgi-bin/wpoison/wpoison.cgi

Ken Mayer

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

gj...@msn.com (Gerald Fay) wrote:
>Actually it appears to be mixed.
>Ken lost his mail address for CIS from Borland.
>Maybe at some point he will enlighten us on what is going on, but I have
>a bad feeling.

See other messages ... things will work out for me, but ... I'm no
longer a Borlander.

Ken
---

Ken Mayer

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Charity Slepcevic <NoJun...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Ken, I am sorry to hear this. I know you will do well in your endeavors
>and am glad that we will still be hearing from you around these forums.

Thanks. It was a bit of a surprise, but I think things will be well. I

have a very active headhunter, who has already gotten me 2 interviews
(Monday was my last day at BI, Tuesday I had an interview, Friday I
had another, Thursday I picked up the offer from the first interview,
am waiting to see the offer (if any) from the second ... compare notes
... <G>)

>PS - I think Borland is loosing a valuable asset!

Thank you ... not my decision, but things will work out fine ...

Ken

Jim Fitzgerald

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 11:48:10 -0800 Charity Slepcevic
<NoJun...@ix.netcom.com> said:

--> And one last thing. TeamB folks, I believe you need to nominate the
--> applicants for TeamB-hood. Maybe Ken should be nominated along with
--> Ross?
-->
Actually, Ken was on Team B before he went to work at BI a couple of
years ago.
--
Jim Fitzgerald
email replies: chemmast at penn dot com

Jim Fitzgerald

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

On Sun, 08 Mar 1998 02:40:55 GMT hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
Mayer) <hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken Mayer)> said:

--> Thank you ... not my decision, but things will work out fine ...
-->
-->
Good luck in your new job; I was glad to hear that there was an immediate
need for your valuable talents.

John L. Creed

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Ken sorry to hear that, but you will see how things always work out for the
_best_!
You have done a lot for me, especially when dBase for Windows was first
released in 94. I have read many of your post, your print.how, and many many
others through the years on CIS and here, and thank you for all the time and
effort you have spent...I hope you hang around, we needs ya brother!
Best Wishes!!!
Ken Mayer wrote:

> See other messages ... things will work out for me, but ... I'm no
> longer a Borlander.
>

> Ken
> ---
> Ken Mayer and Carolyn J. Eaton
> http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv

--
See Ya,

John L. Creed
http://web.wt.net/~jlc

Ken Mayer

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Charity Slepcevic <NoJun...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I'll take the bet that you have at *least* two job offers before you
>decide which one *you* want! Keep us posted, okay?

Well, I'm waiting for the second one, but I have one offer already ...
kind of surprised me, but ... <G>

Thanks -- Ken

Ken Mayer

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

j...@nomail.com (Jim Fitzgerald) wrote:

>Good luck in your new job; I was glad to hear that there was an immediate
>need for your valuable talents.

Thanks. I'm pretty optimistic right now ... <G>

Ken Mayer

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

"John L. Creed" <j...@wt.net> wrote:

>Ken sorry to hear that, but you will see how things always work out for the
>_best_!
>You have done a lot for me, especially when dBase for Windows was first
>released in 94. I have read many of your post, your print.how, and many many
>others through the years on CIS and here, and thank you for all the time and
>effort you have spent...I hope you hang around, we needs ya brother!

Thanks -- (print.how was Romain's, I believe ... <G>) Things are
looking up. I was a bit worried, but having a solid offer in hand,
means that I know there's a job, and if something better comes up,
well ... <G>

John L. Creed

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

I have been writting reports and label programs the last 4 days in oodml. I'm
having a blast! What I meant was your stream.how, I use it as a model for all my
reports and label prg's. I have been studying print.how as well, as a mater of
fact, just before I sent the orginal message <g>

How tuff is it to start your own biz? I have always dreamed of doing that, with a
few global type apps in mind...

Ken Mayer wrote:

> Thanks -- (print.how was Romain's, I believe ... <G>) Things are
> looking up. I was a bit worried, but having a solid offer in hand,
> means that I know there's a job, and if something better comes up,
> well ... <G>
>
> Ken
> ---
> Ken Mayer and Carolyn J. Eaton
> http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv

Gary White

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

On Sun, 08 Mar 1998 18:12:47 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
Mayer) wrote:

>Well, I'm waiting for the second one, but I have one offer already ...
>kind of surprised me, but ... <G>

As long as is isn't with the Evil Empire. <g,d&rvvf>

Charity Slepcevic

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Gary White wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Mar 1998 18:12:47 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
> Mayer) wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm waiting for the second one, but I have one offer already ...
> >kind of surprised me, but ... <G>
>
> As long as is isn't with the Evil Empire. <g,d&rvvf>
>
> Gary

ROTFLMAO!

Ken Mayer

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

dontsp...@qni.com (Gary White) wrote:

>As long as is isn't with the Evil Empire. <g,d&rvvf>

No way -- unless you're management, Microserfs don't get paid diddly
.. (not to mention I am not ready to move to Washington)

Ken Mayer

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

"John L. Creed" <j...@wt.net> wrote:

>I have been writting reports and label programs the last 4 days in oodml. I'm
>having a blast! What I meant was your stream.how, I use it as a model for all my
>reports and label prg's. I have been studying print.how as well, as a mater of
>fact, just before I sent the orginal message <g>

Ah. That 'splains that.

>How tuff is it to start your own biz? I have always dreamed of doing that, with a
>few global type apps in mind...

No idea. I have always avoided doing that ... I am not quite ready for
it ... <G>

Peter Rorlick

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

John L. Creed wrote:

> How tuff is it to start your own biz? I have always dreamed of doing
> that, with a
> few global type apps in mind...

I've done it (my software business is now 11 years old and still
growing). And I know 3 or 4 others who have done it as well. Here's my
opinion and my observations:

I love having my own business. It lets me take risks and work on
projects that no employer would pay me to do. There's no political BS
from above to deal with. I set company policy. I can fire clients who
are too much of a PITA (actually I've very rarely done this, but knowing
that I *can* is nice). I will probably *never* again work as an
employee in somebody else's company.

However, there are some down-sides. You probably will earn less as a
business owner than you could as an employee in the software business.
It's a hard type of business to make a lot of money at. Most
consultants spend a lot of unbillable time at their job. Typically a
third of your time is spent learning (or just keeping up with industry
changes) and you won't get paid for that. Another frequent occurrance
for consultants is that you'll quote a fixed price for a job, and it
will end up taking 2 or 3 times longer than you thought it would. On
the other hand, there's always the chance that you can do *very* well
financially (much better than as an employee), if you create a product
that you can sell many times over, or if some other company buys the
rights to it. The other way to make lots of money is to build a
business that grows, so that your employees generate revenue for you.
But as you take on more employees and your overhead escalates, the
responsibility of bringing in a steady and increasing revenue can be
pretty heavy. And the business owners I know work longer hours and take
less vacation time than employees.

Certainly starting up is not easy. If you can start with a big contract
that would help. Or if you can live without income for a while at the
beginning and you have an idea for a product that you know there is a
demand for, and you know *how* to market it. Having a compatible
partner can be very valuable, especially the 2 (or 3) of you have
complimentary skills.

--------------------------
Peter Rorlick
Montreal Business Software

John L. Creed

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Thanks for the valuable information. I may give it a try someday...

Peter Rorlick wrote:

> I've done it (my software business is now 11 years old and still
> growing). And I know 3 or 4 others who have done it as well. Here's my
> opinion and my observations:
>

> --------------------------
> Peter Rorlick
> Montreal Business Software

--

See Ya,
John L. Creed

http://userv.wt.net/~jlc

John Waterman

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Ken,
I was very disappointed to hear the news. As good as your job prospects must be, it
is always a blow to the ego to receive a pink slip. I very much appreciate your
assistance over the years (in fact going back to the Ashton-Tate BBS if I am not
mistaken). Good luck and best wishes.
//John Waterman//

Ken Mayer

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

John Waterman <jwwat...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

No, you're not mistaken ... I go back that far. Thanks for the good
words. While my new job doesn't have anything to do with VdBASE, I
will be keeping up with it ... I still use it elsewhere. <G>

Ken
---
Ken Mayer (Golden Stag Productions)
http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv

Gary White

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 01:43:02 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
Mayer) wrote:

>No, you're not mistaken ... I go back that far. Thanks for the good
>words. While my new job doesn't have anything to do with VdBASE, I
>will be keeping up with it ... I still use it elsewhere. <G>

Sounds like you've made a decision. Would it be impolite to ask what
you're going to be doing now?

Ken Mayer

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

dontsp...@qni.com (Gary White) wrote:

>Sounds like you've made a decision. Would it be impolite to ask what
>you're going to be doing now?

No problem. On Monday I begin my new job at OmniCell Technologies.
This is a company that produces "dispensing equipment" for hospitals
and such -- it's a package deal -- dispensing machines are made
in-house, and to order; software is written to track inventory (runs
from PCs in the boxes, and out to a server ...); reports get written,
and a large hospital complex can link together ... orders can be made
automatically ... pretty cool stuff. It's a company that's gone in
four years from a small amount of sales to something like $50Million
..

So, I'll be testing the software again, but with a larger salary, but
a commute that's just about as bad. Oh well. <G> Can't have it all.

Gary White

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 05:23:24 GMT, hirschv at mindspring dot com (Ken
Mayer) wrote:

>So, I'll be testing the software again, but with a larger salary, but
>a commute that's just about as bad. Oh well. <G> Can't have it all.

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you.

Ned Clack

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

In article <35037AEF...@InjuryTracker.com>, Peter Rorlick
<Pe...@InjuryTracker.com> writes

>Having a compatible partner can be very valuable

This bit I realised recently has been a big slow-down for me. As an
employee I had dozens of people around to talk with over coffee. Though
ngroups such as borland.vdbase.etc are of huge value when you _know_ you
need help, there must have been many occasions where a voice over the
shoulder saying "why are you doing it like that?" would have saved me
weeks of learning the hard way.
--
Ned
nospam = elden

JamDown Dread

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

I have noticed a trend here. First the release of dBase7 with the scantiest
of manual. Next the release of Ken an avid inside supporter of dBase7. I
have to wonder if Borland is signalling a lack of interest and support for
the dBase product. I hope not because I like what I see in it. To signal
their continuing support I would like to see Borland colloborate with Alan
and get a dbase7 specific book on the market. I am also looking forward to
the Update, but Im willing to wait a little while so that it is completely
bug free. By a little while I mean up to a month more or else it maybe time
to take a hint and switch.

Good luck Ken.

SHELTON BISSELL

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Agreed! Ken Mayer's support has been invaluable to me for several years now
and his leaving Borland, plus all the problems with VdB7 I've seen surfaced
here makes me extremely leery of Borland's continued effort. I've decided
not to waste the time trying to deal with a product that just isn't ready.

(FWIW) Shelton Bissell

Paul Franks (TeamB)

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

In article <6eupu1$67...@forums.borland.com>, sci...@isdn.net says...

> Ken Mayer's support has been invaluable to me for several years now
> and his leaving Borland, plus all the problems with VdB7 I've seen surfaced
> here makes me extremely leery of Borland's continued effort.

There is no link between commitment to any specific product, and the
continued employment of any individual. I understand the RIF was linked
to restructuring after the acquisition of another company, and release of
VdB 7.01 is due to be announced soon. Watch the BI web pages and the
vdbase.announce newsgroup.
--
Paul Franks (TeamB)

SHELTON BISSELL

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

Paul,

>release of VdB 7.01 is due to be announced soon.

I really hope I'll be proven wrong and VdB 7.01 will be hailed as the
greatest program to ever come down the pike ... but from where I stand it
sounds like there is simply too much rewrite required for our Vdb 5.6 apps
with no clear cut instruction as to how to do it. And if performance is
actually _slower_ as many have said ... forget it.

Borland has got to give us a bullet proof product _and_ make some books
available like the one I'm sure Alan Katz has ready.

(FWIW) Shelton

Peter Rorlick

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

SHELTON BISSELL wrote:

> And if performance is
> actually _slower_ as many have said ... forget it.

What have the "many" said to be slower, specifically? I've found VdB7
apps to be faster at runtime than 5.6 apps, in general. In terms of
time to develop.....there certainly is a lot to learn in VdB7 but
already I'm more productive - and producing better apps - with 7 than I
ever was/did with 5.x.

SHELTON BISSELL

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

Peter,

I'm _glad_ to hear you're getting good results with Vdb 7. As to the
performance issue, check out the thread in the 16-bit NG where Gary White
has done some benchmarks. His results are showing 7 to be about 4 times
slower than 5.6.

I guess I'm in the novice group that is "not going into the deep end of the
pool without a good set of water wings." I've got to have Alan Katz' book
(yet to be published) or something similar.

(FWIW) Shelton

Paul Franks (TeamB)

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

In article <3517CA8D...@InjuryTracker.com>, pe...@InjuryTracker.com
says...

> What have the "many" said to be slower, specifically? I've found VdB7
> apps to be faster at runtime than 5.6 apps, in general.

I wonder... could this be a thing between Win95 and NT? I know there are
substantial parts of W95 are still 16 bit code under the hood, and this
must involve some subtle gymnastics when faced with pure 32-bit
applications. OTOH NT is much closer to pure 32-bit, but the extra
layers associated with security may impact performance in some
situations.
--
Paul Franks (TeamB)

JamDown Dread

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98
O.K!! Way to go Borland the inline is here. Congrats. However where is the
book?

Keep up the good work.

vcard.vcf

Karsten Tinzmann - Promex South Africa

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

If you guys in the rest of the world have a problem getting a book on VdB
7.0, how the hell am I supposed to find one in Africa? Not even Borland
South Africa could help me when I contacted them.

Karsten

JamDown Dread <"rsalsbry@RemoveThis"@idirect.com> wrote in message
<6fa3h4$h4...@forums.borland.com>...