This weeks most pointless & insulting warning notice.

1 view

Martin James

Sep 13, 2003, 9:35:43 AM9/13/03
I passed a strange object/s in the road today. It had an identifying notice
stuck to it, or I would have been completely baffled: 'Caution - horse and
rider'.

It seemed to be some sort of large 4-legged animal carrying a human female.
The human was wearing a riding cap.

Is this notice correct? What am I supposed to do if I meet a similar object
collection but without the notice? Do you think the notice should repeat
the indentification in some other common languages in case a French or
German driver should come upon it?

Rgds,
Martin

--
borland.public.off-topic exists as a runoff for unwanted posts in the
technical groups. Enforcement of rules is deliberately minimal but

Steve Caupp

Sep 13, 2003, 9:51:33 AM9/13/03
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:35:43 +0100, "Martin James"
<mjames...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I passed a strange object/s in the road today. It had an identifying notice
>stuck to it, or I would have been completely baffled: 'Caution - horse and
>rider'.
>
>It seemed to be some sort of large 4-legged animal carrying a human female.
>The human was wearing a riding cap.

Thank goodness for these. Just the other day I was preparing to crash
into the back of the car in front of me on the highway when I noticed
the "Baby on Board" sign and backed off just in time.
--
"Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you read too many books."
Granny Weatherwax, "Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett

Martin James

Sep 13, 2003, 10:31:50 AM9/13/03
> Thank goodness for these. Just the other day I was preparing to crash
> into the back of the car in front of me on the highway when I noticed
> the "Baby on Board" sign and backed off just in time.
> --

Yes, it's important to read these notices & not get distracted by other
irrelevancies like road signs, other vehicles, pedestrians, road works etc.

Rgds,
Martin

Loren Pechtel

Sep 13, 2003, 11:42:34 AM9/13/03
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:31:50 +0100, "Martin James"
<mjames...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Yes, it's important to read these notices & not get distracted by other
>irrelevancies like road signs, other vehicles, pedestrians, road works etc.

Oh, there's a machine in our factory that keeps tempting me
to make up a sign: "Warning: Too many warnings". The stupid thing
is just about covered in safety warnings. It isn't unduly hazardous,
either.

Owen Green

Sep 13, 2003, 1:47:53 PM9/13/03
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:42:34 -0700, in borland.public.off-topic you wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:31:50 +0100, "Martin James"
> <mjames...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes, it's important to read these notices & not get distracted by other
>>irrelevancies like road signs, other vehicles, pedestrians, road works etc.
>
> Oh, there's a machine in our factory that keeps tempting me
> to make up a sign: "Warning: Too many warnings". The stupid thing
> is just about covered in safety warnings. It isn't unduly hazardous,
> either.

I saw one on the motorway the other day that said 'sign not in use', or
something similarly moronic.

Daniel Daranas

Sep 13, 2003, 6:19:23 PM9/13/03
In article <d586mvovlerbchj34...@4ax.com>, sca...@mfm.com
says...

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:35:43 +0100, "Martin James"
> <mjames...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> >I passed a strange object/s in the road today. It had an identifying notice
> >stuck to it, or I would have been completely baffled: 'Caution - horse and
> >rider'.
> >
> >It seemed to be some sort of large 4-legged animal carrying a human female.
> >The human was wearing a riding cap.
>
> Thank goodness for these. Just the other day I was preparing to crash
> into the back of the car in front of me on the highway when I noticed
> the "Baby on Board" sign and backed off just in time.

I'm considering adding a sign at the back of my car: "No babies on board.
Crash freely".

--
Daniel

Martin James

Sep 13, 2003, 9:06:07 PM9/13/03

> Oh, there's a machine in our factory that keeps tempting me
> to make up a sign: "Warning: Too many warnings". The stupid thing
> is just about covered in safety warnings. It isn't unduly hazardous,
> either.

Isn't it just amazing that welders might be hot & presses that can form a
car door in a fraction of a second might damage your hand?

Rgds,
Martin

finalfiler

Sep 14, 2003, 12:32:19 AM9/14/03
Martin James wrote:

> I passed a strange object/s in the road today. It had an identifying
notice
> stuck to it, or I would have been completely baffled: 'Caution -
horse and
> rider'.

Syntax error, I think.

"Caution Horses" are a breed of horse favoured by the middle classes,
usually bought as birthday presents for teenaged daughters.

"Caution Horses" require an expensive, enclosed stall on wheels.
Preferably the stall must be large enough for at least THREE "Caution
Horses", although at most only one will be kept in it. The mobile stall
is then hitched to a three tonne four wheel drive truck. It is required
to transport to "Caution Horses" vast distances.

NB: If the mobile stall is new and VERY expensive, it may be towed about
the neighborhood without a "Caution Horse" in it. This is done to
impress the neighbors, especially those who do not yet own a "Caution Horse"

When arriving at remote locations, the "Caution Horses" may be removed
from their mobile stall to be exercised for short periods.

Riders are optional.

Exercise completed the "Caution Horses" are usually transported back to
the departure point. At this stage the middle class owners retire to the
large house on their 5 acre lot to reflect on the day and talk about
mortgages and real-estate values.

--
Pierre
Final Filer Software

Loren Pechtel

Sep 14, 2003, 10:59:35 AM9/14/03
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:47:53 +0100, Owen Green
<o.t....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I saw one on the motorway the other day that said 'sign not in use', or
>something similarly moronic.

Actually, there is a reason for that. You're driving along,
you see a blank warning sign. You're going to be wondering what it
was supposed to tell you. On the other hand, you see a warning sign
that says "Sign not in use" and you know it's nothing.

Raymond M. Summerlin Sr.

Sep 14, 2003, 6:47:35 PM9/14/03
Loren Pechtel <lorenp...@hotmail.com> wrote in
<d009mvkqg1rt5bb52...@4ax.com>:

> Actually, there is a reason for that. You're driving along,
>you see a blank warning sign. You're going to be wondering what it
>was supposed to tell you. On the other hand, you see a warning sign
>that says "Sign not in use" and you know it's nothing.

"This sign intentionally left blank"

--
-Ray-