Best Kylix Book a Must have!

1 view

Steve Garland

Dec 31, 2001, 1:59:25 PM12/31/01
I have already bought a handful of Kylix books and some are mostly Delphi
text re-hashed.

The book by Jon Shemitz is a virtual gold mine of information not only about
Kylix but about Linux in general. It is chock full of tons and tons of
useful information and will take me months to absorb I am sure.

From Linux Internals, to threads, to optimization, to deployment this is a
Kylix Book from start to finish (as the cover states). There are chapters on
Kylix for Delphi users and Kylix for VB Users. He goes into important
concepts like regexes in great detail which I never know were so
important<g. and does an incredible job of anticipating questions from
Delphi/Windows Developers.

To me it's a book written by a developer who develops and just doesnt' just
write books.

Absolutely the BEST Kylix BOOK to date and right up there with the best
Delpihi books. Great job Jon!

Kylix Developers, Please, let's support this guy! It's almost 1,000 pages
and is fabulous!

Highly recommended.

Kylix: The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference
ISDN 1-893115-89-5
Jon Shemitz
a! Press (www.apress.com)

--
Steve Garland sgar...@astatech.com
Cross Platform Messaging and TDataSet Components: TAstaPDADataSets

Ken Moffat

Dec 31, 2001, 3:17:05 PM12/31/01

No offense, please, but are you a friend or in some way affiliated?

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:59:25 -0700
"Steve Garland" <sgar...@astatech.com> wrote:

> I have already bought a handful of Kylix books and some are mostly
Delphi> text re-hashed.

> The book by Jon Shemitz is a virtual gold mine
>

> Kylix: The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference

--
Ken Moffat
kmo...@drizzle.com

Ken Moffat

Dec 31, 2001, 3:25:43 PM12/31/01
Never mind, bought it from Amazon, good price right now, much cheaper than
bn.com

--
Ken Moffat
kmo...@drizzle.com

Ken Moffat

Dec 31, 2001, 3:29:21 PM12/31/01
On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:25:43 -0800
Ken Moffat <kmo...@drizzle.com> wrote:

> Never mind, bought it from Amazon, good price right now, much cheaper
than> bn.com

Oops, wrong, no shipping or tax from bn.com, so went with them.

--
Ken Moffat
kmo...@drizzle.com

Steve Garland

Dec 31, 2001, 4:21:06 PM12/31/01
>No offense, please, but are you a friend or in some way affiliated?

nope. never met the guy.

R. Tipton

Dec 31, 2001, 8:24:38 PM12/31/01

"Steve Garland" <sgar...@astatech.com> wrote in message

> nope. never met the guy.

Hi Steve at 1st I thought yep a plug but I then re-read your mesage and I
know your credentials so I kinda figure you learnt a good deal about Linux
from this book as well.
I shall buy it on the strength of the sheer delight of your 1st message.
Anyone else interested there is a sample chapter at (see below).
http://www.apress.com/catalog/book/1893115895/

Rita

Steve Garland

Jan 1, 2002, 12:59:41 AM1/1/02
<<so I kinda figure you learnt a good deal about Linux
from this book as well.

I have and will continue to learn a lot from this book.

I am not related to this author, but was overjoyed to have found such a
gem.

I only want him to write more books!<g>

I can't tell you how many books I buy and get one or two pieces of new
knowledge from. This one is quite different in that the author is not shy at
all about stating his opinion not only to *how* things work but *why* they
exist in the present form and whether or not that is a good thing.

As a Delphi and Kylix 3rd Party Vendor, when I find a product or book that
is exceptional, I want to make sure that others know about it as the Kylix
market is very much a young market and we need artist/technicians like Jon
Shemitz to help spread the word.

Here's the book details again for those who didn't see the start of the
thread.

Kylix: The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference

ISDN 1-893115-89-5
Jon Shemitz
a! Press (www.apress.com)

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)

Jan 1, 2002, 11:03:34 AM1/1/02
In article <3c30b543$1_2@dnews>, Steve Garland says...

> ISDN 1-893115-89-5

I guess that should be ISBN. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)

"There is no idea so simple and powerful that you can't get zillions
of people to misunderstand it." -- Alan Kay

Ken Moffat

Jan 1, 2002, 3:14:42 PM1/1/02
I bought Kylix Dev.guide 2 days ago, but on the strength of your
recommendation I bought this book also!

--
Ken Moffat
kmo...@drizzle.com

Jon Shemitz

Jan 3, 2002, 8:00:47 PM1/3/02
> Absolutely the BEST Kylix BOOK to date and right up there with the best
> Delpihi books. Great job Jon!

Why, thank you. What a great thing to read after coming back from a
Florida vacation with the extended family (my Dad's 75th b'day party)
and spending 36.5 hrs (sleeping on the floor in Atlanta) in the process!

--

My Kylix book - The Professional Developer's Guide and Reference
http://www.midnightbeach.com/kylix

R. Tipton

Jan 3, 2002, 10:00:42 PM1/3/02

"Jon Shemitz" <j...@midnightbeach.com> wrote in message

> and spending 36.5 hrs (sleeping on the floor in Atlanta) in the process!

I thought it was artists who slept on floors not authors. <g>

I d/l the sample chapter and after Steve's obvious delight
I went ahead and ordered your book.
I use amazon.co.uk and I got the sent confirmation 7am 3rd Jan
so with luck it will be here sometime today I'am on gmt here
its now 2:59 Fri 4th Jan
Looking forward to this
Rita

Steve Garland

Jan 3, 2002, 10:23:13 PM1/3/02
<<Why, thank you

No thank you!

I was tired of reading delphi re-hashes and your book is just chock full of
fresh info.

I just bought a copy for one of my Kylix guys that he received today also.

It is going to be required reading for the ASTA/Kylix group.

When's the next book coming<g>

Trane Francks

Jan 4, 2002, 9:22:47 AM1/4/02
Steve Garland wrote:

> <<Why, thank you
>
> No thank you!
>
> I was tired of reading delphi re-hashes and your book is just chock full of
> fresh info.
>
> I just bought a copy for one of my Kylix guys that he received today also.
>
> It is going to be required reading for the ASTA/Kylix group.

Okay, I've orded one, too. I never did anything more than a
console-based, "Hello, world!" program in Kylix1. Now that I've
got Kylix 2 on the HDD, I'm interested in working on a Guitar
Tracks-like recording application for Linux. I'm hopeful that
this book and the OSS API documentation will get me started.

trane
// Trane Francks tr...@gol.com Tokyo, Japan

John Kaster (Borland)

Jan 4, 2002, 1:37:16 PM1/4/02
Trane Francks wrote:
> Okay, I've orded one, too. I never did anything more than a
> console-based, "Hello, world!" program in Kylix1.

If you're not that familiar with Delphi or Kylix, it is entirely
possible that the same Kylix books that Steve calls a "rehash" of Delphi
would be of great benefit to you, since there can always be more than
one target audience for a book.

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, http://community.borland.com
$1280/$50K: Thanks to my donors!

Jon Shemitz

Jan 4, 2002, 5:24:49 PM1/4/02
Steve Garland wrote:

> When's the next book coming<g>

I have to make some money, first. I'm not one of those single guys who
can write at night: I have a family and all. So I have to complete a
longish contract or two before I can write another book.

R. Tipton

Jan 4, 2002, 7:38:06 PM1/4/02

> I have to make some money, first. I'm not one of those single guys who
> can write at night: I have a family and all. So I have to complete a
> longish contract or two before I can write another book.

Start a war with Britain and lose early on and we shall keep you and your
family in luxury for ever. <g>

One book I would like is a simple Linux guide I now have your book and I
went
straight to the Unix section it makes some things easier for me, but I only
got it
7 hours or so ago.
Learning DOS in the early 80's was a struggle at 1st then I read a book
titled
the Dos Bible I have since lost it maybe my daughter pinched it I dont know.
It was very good for me and the penny eventually dropped ok I had to keep
house, work feed my husband and child but I got there now I'am older the old
grey
matter is leaking and I fall asleep reading or drift of on some thought
train that I
dont ever remember. My eyesight is also failing so big print please <g>
Rita

Trane Francks

Jan 4, 2002, 9:17:03 PM1/4/02
"John Kaster (Borland)" wrote:

> If you're not that familiar with Delphi or Kylix, it is entirely
> possible that the same Kylix books that Steve calls a "rehash" of Delphi
> would be of great benefit to you, since there can always be more than
> one target audience for a book.

Thanks, John. If I find Jon's book leaves me with unanswered
questions, I'll be back asking for suggestions. Having years of
Turbo Pascal and VB experience leaves me wondering which books
would be suitable for me. This book will, I hope, get heading in
the right direction. At least I'll know what questions I have by
the time I get to the end of it.

Cheers,

Peter McMahon

Jan 5, 2002, 6:57:42 AM1/5/02
Out of interest, how long did it take you to complete the book, from start
to finish?

Peter

Ken Moffat

Jan 16, 2002, 2:01:40 PM1/16/02

Jon, I got the book, and it has increased my knowledge in the first 30
pages. Thanks. I'll look forward to you next effort.--
Ken Moffat
kmo...@drizzle.com