Re: Jbuilder X designer hangs on Linux

Lori M Olson [TeamB]

Jul 11, 2005, 4:53:30 PM7/11/05
Dr. Michael Boeni wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have just migrated a developer workstation to Linux (Suse 9.2) and
> have very little problems with JBuilder except the UI designer. While it
> work ok on Windows, JBuilder on Linux "hangs" as soon as I switch from
> codeview to the designer view. Jbuilder shows "Loading Desingers" but
> never gets over it.
> This is just a problem with my current project. If I create a new
> project, the designers will load ok. Strange though: The project WORKS
> on Windows, using the same version of JBuilder X.
>
> Any ideas where to look? Can I repair the designer xml descriptive file
> in some way?
>
> help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Run Jbuilder in verbose mode (-verbose on the command-line). Then...
well on Windows you do a Ctrl-Break to get a thread-dump when a java
application hangs. I'm sure there is something similar for Linux.

Follow-ups set to the .linux group, since that is where the knowledgable
Linux people hang out.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson [TeamB]

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
http://www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Dr. Michael Boeni

Jul 11, 2005, 5:54:11 PM7/11/05
Hi Lori

I did as you sayd and got the following exceptions:

sun.io.MalformedInputException
at sun.io.ByteToCharUTF8.convert(ByteToCharUTF8.java:136)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcSimpleElement.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcSimpleElement.read(Unknown
Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcFile.read(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcFile.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcFile.a(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.jot.src.SrcFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.node.JBClassManager.getFile(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.node.JBPackages.getFile(Unknown Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.cmt.CmtComponentManager.getComponent(Unknown Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.designer.DesignerViewer.getComponentSource(Unknown
Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.designer.inspector.InspectorView.a(Unknown Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.designer.inspector.InspectorView.setTarget(Unknown
Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.designer.inspector.InspectorView.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.designer.inspector.Inspector.a(Unknown
Source)
at
com.borland.jbuilder.designer.inspector.Inspector.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.borland.jbuilder.designer.h.run(Unknown Source)
at
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
java.lang.Error: SrcSimpleElement: sun.io.MalformedInputException
[...]

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Michael

Dr. Michael Boeni

Jul 12, 2005, 4:35:02 AM7/12/05
Hi Lori

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Michael

> Dr. Michael Boeni wrote:

>> Dear all
>>
>> I have just migrated a developer workstation to Linux (Suse 9.2) and
have very little problems with JBuilder except the UI designer. While it
work ok on Windows, JBuilder on Linux "hangs" as soon as I switch from
codeview to the designer view. Jbuilder shows "Loading Desingers" but
never gets over it.
>> This is just a problem with my current project. If I create a new
project, the designers will load ok. Strange though: The project WORKS
on Windows, using the same version of JBuilder X.

>> Any ideas where to look? Can I repair the designer xml descriptive
file in some way?

>> help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>

> Run Jbuilder in verbose mode (-verbose on the command-line). Then...
well on Windows you do a Ctrl-Break to get a thread-dump when a java
application hangs. I'm sure there is something similar for Linux.

> Follow-ups set to the .linux group, since that is where the
knowledgable Linux people hang out.

Lori M Olson [TeamB]

Jul 12, 2005, 1:11:05 PM7/12/05
Dr. Michael Boeni wrote:
> Hi Lori
>
> I did as you sayd and got the following exceptions:
>
> sun.io.MalformedInputException
> at sun.io.ByteToCharUTF8.convert(ByteToCharUTF8.java:136)

That pretty much tells you the problem. It is choking on a non-UTF8
character in your file.

Interesting. Is your project set up with a non-UTF8 character set?

Dr. Michael Boeni

Jul 12, 2005, 1:22:24 PM7/12/05
erm...I have no idea. I did not change any default setting or so. i just
copied the file tree from Windows XP, perhaps that mangled a file.

I work on a "Swissgerman" system, that might also be a problem. How to
resolve this now?

Dr. Michael Boeni

Jul 13, 2005, 8:35:44 AM7/13/05
BTW, I get this with ALL files that I copy from Windows. What to do here?

Paul Nichols [TeamB]

Jul 22, 2005, 11:07:17 AM7/22/05

"Dr. Michael Boeni" <m...@shift-think.com> wrote in message

> BTW, I get this with ALL files that I copy from Windows. What to do here?

Sounds as though you are using a Windows EOL marker, which will give you a
character (like ^M) in your file, as an EOL marker.

To see if this is the case, open the file on the Unix machine using VI or
EMACS. If you see non standard characters in the file (BOL, EOL), then you
have correctly identified the culprit.

This is a common thing when using something like WordPad that does not, by
default using ANSI text.