jb05

cpanon

May 26, 2008, 3:20:08 PM5/26/08
Hi
Still a holdout, hope someone can remember enough to help, grin.
I have a policy file that I would like to test with however I dont know
where to put it to be picked up by JB05 server configurations. I am
just just running Tomcat5.0.28 it works fine for my immediate needs and
I configure policy and put it in both the JAVA_HOME and the Document and
Settings/Administrator, and even in the conf directory under the project
that is built for the named instance of tomcat; and it cant find it. I
know b/c I put in a permission to read the policy file and made the call
in the code and of course it fails earliest there in the code call.

Is it possible to customize the development instance of the testing
server with specific files. The files in the standard productions
locations do not work. Thank you for any insight.

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

May 26, 2008, 5:04:12 PM5/26/08
cpanon wrote:

>I have a policy file that I would like to test with however I dont know
>where to put it to be picked up by JB05 server configurations.

JBuilder creates its own local Tomcat configuration directory under the
project directory.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Please see CodeGear's newsgroup guidelines at
http://support.codegear.com/newsgroups/guidelines

cpanon

May 26, 2008, 5:22:58 PM5/26/08
Hi Kevin
Yes, I know but where do I put the policy file so I can test against it?
I have put it in the production JAVA_HOME directory and it wasnt
found. Where does it go?

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

May 26, 2008, 8:33:58 PM5/26/08
cpanon wrote:

>Yes, I know but where do I put the policy file so I can test against it?
>I have put it in the production JAVA_HOME directory and it wasnt found.
>Where does it go?

Are you referring to catalina.policy? It goes here, I think:

C:\Borland\JBuilder2005\thirdparty\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf

(Just guessing. Haven't ever had to do this.)

cpanon

May 26, 2008, 8:42:35 PM5/26/08
Hi Kevin
No, the "real" one, .java.policy. Ideas? tia.

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

May 27, 2008, 8:10:27 AM5/27/08
cpanon wrote:

>No, the "real" one, .java.policy. Ideas? tia.

The catalina.policy file replaces any system policy file completely. See
the section "Configuring Tomcat With A SecurityManager" in this link:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/security-manager-howto.html

There's more information there on how to start Tomcat with a
SecurityManager. You would make those changes in the "Enterprise |
Configure Servers... | Tomcat 5.0" dialog.

cpanon

May 27, 2008, 11:22:01 AM5/27/08
Hi Kevin
There must be an override default somewhere b/c I can report that it
finally works find with the .java.policy in the user.home. I will look
into the role of catalina.policy. As always, thank you.

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

May 30, 2008, 11:49:34 PM5/30/08
cpanon wrote:

> There must be an override default somewhere b/c I can report that it
> finally works find with the .java.policy in the user.home. I will look
> into the role of catalina.policy.

I'm wondering if this isn't a question for the Tomcat users
list/newsgroup? Maybe they have already discussed it?
You might be able to take whatever answers/info you can
glean from their discussions and apply it to your set up
in JBuilder 2005. Maybe you'll even find info explaining
your finding that putting it in "user.home" is a viable
option.

Just a thought.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)