deploying applets in jbuilder 2008

Jacques Chaurette

Jun 7, 2008, 12:23:57 PM6/7/08

Hello, I have upgraded from jbuilder classic to jbuilder 2008 trial version. I have yet to be able to import my old applets. I have tried to create new ones in 2008 and have finally managed to get something to work in the run environment. I cannot find any instructions or tutorials to tell me how to deploy the applet. Can anyone recommend a source for this info. Thanks,

Jacques

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jun 10, 2008, 11:51:32 PM6/10/08
Jacques Chaurette wrote:

After having done a good bit of Googling on your problem, I've
come to the conclusion that

1) few Eclipse developers work on applets;

2) the Eclipse "community" (i.e., ~50% of which are IBM employees
paid to work on Eclipse projects) isn't interested in applet
development and is not focused on providing end-to-end tooling
for it;

3) unless you really have to migrate from JBuilder 2006, stay there,
at least for your applet development;

or

4) learn ANT; learn how to manually deploy an applet [it's
pretty straightforward, isn't it? See java.sun.com tutorial(s)];
then put those two pieces of knowledge together to create a
build.xml file which compiles, packages your applet jar,
and deploys your entire Web app to your server of choice
(be it JBoss, Tomcat, you name it). If you are going to
use Eclipse, you have to invest significant time learning
to efficiently write ANT build.xml files.

http://ant.apache.org

Can you answer this:

What do you need that JBuilder 2006 doesn't offer in terms
of applet development?

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:
http://info.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Thank you.

Jacques Chaurette

Jun 14, 2008, 8:57:22 AM6/14/08

Hi Paul, thanks for your response and taking the time.

I would gladly stay with jbuilder 2006 if I had it. I had jb2006 installed on a computer that I no longer have and I never had the disks. If I remember this was the trial version which had no time limit and all the functionality that I need. Do you know where I could get jb2006, I will pay a reasonable price for it.

Cheers,

Jacques

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jun 17, 2008, 10:23:45 PM6/17/08
Jacques Chaurette wrote:

> I would gladly stay with jbuilder 2006 if I had it. I had jb2006
> installed on a computer that I no longer have and I never had the
> disks. If I remember this was the trial version which had no time
> limit and all the functionality that I need. Do you know where I
> could get jb2006, I will pay a reasonable price for it.

I don't know where you can get it. I googled and found some hits,
but a search of amazon.com, programmersparadise.com, and some other
likely vendors (even ebay) turned up nothing. I suppose you could
try contacting a local Java users group and see if any Borland
JBuilder fanatic has some trial CDs. The trial version reverts
to "JBuilder Foundation" at the end of the trial period.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.

Jacques Chaurette

Jun 21, 2008, 8:24:38 AM6/21/08

I can now get a jbuilder 2008 applpet to work in the IDE. I suppose if I duplicate the set-up of my old applets on the server which is basically an html file that calls the main applet class file which is in a sub-directory which also contains all the other class files. I suppose that should work,no?

Here is a typical applet html file:

http://www.lightmypump.com/impeller_size3/impeller_size3.html

CVHeers,

Jacques

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jun 22, 2008, 11:05:08 PM6/22/08
Jacques Chaurette wrote:

> I can now get a jbuilder 2008 applpet to work in the IDE. I suppose
> if I duplicate the set-up of my old applets on the server which is
> basically an html file that calls the main applet class file which
> is in a sub-directory which also contains all the other class
> files. I suppose that should work,no?

I think that was what I was suggesting in the other thread you
opened on this subject: that you should add a Web "module" to
your JB 2008 (Eclipse) project. (See the thread titled,
"migration from jbuilder 2006 to 2008, my response on June 5
at 11:02 pm.)