what is the cause of "OutOfMemoryError vmcid: SUN minor code: 234 completed: Maybe"

SH

Feb 4, 2005, 5:38:24 PM2/4/05
Hello.
when I call root_ncRef.resolve(nc);// see listing 1.
I got the following exception:
" systemException : org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL:
com.sun.corba.se.internal.core.NoSuchServiceContext: InputStream constructor
threw exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError vmcid: SUN minor code: 234
completed: Maybe"

which traces back to
'resolve' IN ' _NamingContextExtStub.java'
then _invoke IN 'ObjectImpl.java'
then _get_delegate().invoke IN 'objectImpl.java'
then it goes to InputStream.java

is this exception caused by the fact that the servicecontext not found? but
then should i get something like this:
"IDL:omg.org/CosNaming/NamingContext/NotFound:1.0? what happens here? your
comments are greatly appreciated.

this is the piece of code: (listing 1)

org.omg.CORBA.ORB orb = org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init(args, null);//orb is a
default java IDL impl.

org.omg.CORBA.Object co_obj = orb.string_to_object(IOR);

NamingContextExt root_ncRef = NamingContextExtHelper.narrow(co_obj);//this
should be my initial naming context.

NameComponent nc[] = {new NameComponent("SomeID", "")};

org.omg.CORBA.Object co_obj2 = root_ncRef.resolve(nc);

thanks
SH.

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

Feb 4, 2005, 8:35:24 PM2/4/05
SH wrote:

> when I call root_ncRef.resolve(nc);// see listing 1.
> I got the following exception:
> " systemException : org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL:
> com.sun.corba.se.internal.core.NoSuchServiceContext: InputStream
> constructor threw exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError vmcid: SUN
> minor code: 234 completed: Maybe"
>
> which traces back to
> 'resolve' IN ' _NamingContextExtStub.java'
> then _invoke IN 'ObjectImpl.java'
> then _get_delegate().invoke IN 'objectImpl.java'
> then it goes to InputStream.java
>
> is this exception caused by the fact that the servicecontext not
> found?

OutOfMemoryError is exactly what it says it is: there is not enough
memory. Does this occur immediately on startup? If so, increase the
maximum memory with the VM parameter -Xmx memory parameter. If not,
you have a memory leak and should use something like Optimizeit to find
it.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

http://info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

SH

Feb 7, 2005, 10:26:03 AM2/7/05

> OutOfMemoryError is exactly what it says it is: there is not enough
> memory. Does this occur immediately on startup? If so, increase the
> maximum memory with the VM parameter -Xmx memory parameter. If not,
> you have a memory leak and should use something like Optimizeit to find
> it.
>
> --
> Kevin Dean [TeamB]
> Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Kevin,
thanks for your reply.
This does happen immediately on startup. I tried it :-Xmx512m this morning,
and I still got the same error message. (I have win2000, I max out on 516
MB, and no other apps are running). what went wrong here? 512m is quite a
lot for object references already.

thx
SH

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

Feb 7, 2005, 12:33:12 PM2/7/05
SH wrote:

> This does happen immediately on startup. I tried it :-Xmx512m this
> morning, and I still got the same error message. (I have win2000, I
> max out on 516 MB, and no other apps are running). what went wrong
> here? 512m is quite a lot for object references already.

Agreed, it's a lot, but try increasing it to 1024m and see what
happens. If you still blow up, it's possible that there's an endless
loop on startup that is consuming memory (don't worry if the 1024m
exceeds your physical RAM as it will page to disk if necessary).

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

SH

Feb 7, 2005, 1:38:23 PM2/7/05
> Agreed, it's a lot, but try increasing it to 1024m and see what
> happens. If you still blow up, it's possible that there's an endless
> loop on startup that is consuming memory (don't worry if the 1024m
> exceeds your physical RAM as it will page to disk if necessary).

Kevin,
you were right on memory error. With your suggestion, I got rid of
'outofmemoryError'. now I got this:

systemException : org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL:
com.sun.corba.se.internal.core.NoSuchServiceContext: InputStream constructor
threw exception org.omg.CORBA .MARSHAL: underflow called with grow strategy
vmcid: SUN minor code: 202 completed: No vmcid: SUN minor code: 234
completed: Maybe.

I did the same call in c++, and it worked out fine. it seems my
orb(default java IDL impl) is having problem with marshalling pararmeters.

thanks again
SH.

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

Feb 7, 2005, 4:56:01 PM2/7/05
SH wrote:

> you were right on memory error. With your suggestion, I got rid of
> 'outofmemoryError'. now I got this:
> systemException : org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL:
> com.sun.corba.se.internal.core.NoSuchServiceContext: InputStream
> constructor threw exception org.omg.CORBA .MARSHAL: underflow called
> with grow strategy vmcid: SUN minor code: 202 completed: No vmcid:
> SUN minor code: 234 completed: Maybe.

I'm afraid that at this point I'm unable to help; your problem is, I
think, too detailed for the newsgroups. Your best bet would be to open
a case with Borland Support directly.

SH

Feb 11, 2005, 5:34:32 PM2/11/05
After monitoring the tcp/ip traffic, it seems like the JDK Orb isn't
understanding a termination in the data stream. When the resolve is called,
i notice the 'correct' data have received. But the JDK Orb is STILL looking
for some sign of termination.(which explains why i need to increase the vm
memory, i think). I don't know what signal the JDK orb is looking for, but
after about 15 seconds of trying, systemException is thrown.

since this involves sun's Jdk, and on the server side, it uses ORBExpress
ORB, and MICO name server. i am not sure how keen Borland(by opening a case)
is going to help me. so, my question here to everyone is :

between OrbExpress ORB and MICO name server, who fault is it, for not
passing out the right termination that JDK can understand.?

or is there an interopability problem in between iiop version 1.0, 1.1 and
1.2(it seems ORBExpress ORB uses 1.0, MICO uses 1.2, and sun's jdk uses
1.1)?

any help or comments are appreciated.

SH.

"Kevin Dean [TeamB]" <NkOdS...@datadevelopment.com> wrote in message

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]

Feb 16, 2005, 5:30:48 PM2/16/05
SH wrote:

> or is there an interopability problem in between iiop version 1.0,
> 1.1 and 1.2(it seems ORBExpress ORB uses 1.0, MICO uses 1.2, and
> sun's jdk uses 1.1)?

I think you just pegged it. My recollection about IIOP between
platforms is they all need to use the same IIOP version - even in the
newer ORBs that use POAs. Mixing them can lead problems and is
hit-or-miss at best.

--
David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
http://www.davenet.net/

My blog: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daorriss/

Save yourself some time and check these sites:

Borland Newsgroup Search:
http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:
http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

SH

Feb 18, 2005, 10:56:22 PM2/18/05
> I think you just pegged it. My recollection about IIOP between
> platforms is they all need to use the same IIOP version - even in the
> newer ORBs that use POAs. Mixing them can lead problems and is
> hit-or-miss at best.

well, just want to put an end to this story. i abandoned sun's orb, and went
with orbexpress' orb. everything works perfectly......happy end :-)

thanks for your comment.

SH

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]

Feb 22, 2005, 12:58:28 PM2/22/05
SH wrote:

> well, just want to put an end to this story. i abandoned sun's orb,
> and went with orbexpress' orb. everything works perfectly......happy
> end :-)
>
> thanks for your comment.

Thanks for letting us know.

SH

Feb 23, 2005, 5:01:49 PM2/23/05
also, your visibroker works fine as well. instead of going with orbexpress,
we probably upgrade our 05 developer version to enterprise. since. we are on
the subject, i would like to ask you couple question on enterprise trial
version.

To configure an ORB for use with Jbuilder enterprise. I did it through the
'traditional' way (Project->Project Properties->Pahts->required
libraries->vbjorb.jar). but it seems to me the 'right' way to do it is going
through enterprise setup(highlight corba, visibroker on drop down, and
edit). on the edit configuration page, path for orb tools is the directory
that contains the osagent.exe file. the library for projects is the Borland
enterprise server 5.2.1 client library, which i can not find. did i do
anything wrong, or something missing in trial version?

also, what is the difference between the 'traditional' way to configure the
Orb and the enterprise setup.

as always, any comments are appreciated.

thanks

SH.

"David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB]" <jbuild...@davenet.net> wrote in message

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

Feb 23, 2005, 8:27:47 PM2/23/05
SH wrote:

> also, your visibroker works fine as well. instead of going with
> orbexpress, we probably upgrade our 05 developer version to
> enterprise. since. we are on the subject, i would like to ask you
> couple question on enterprise trial version.
>
> To configure an ORB for use with Jbuilder enterprise. I did it
> through the 'traditional' way (Project->Project
> Properties->Pahts->required libraries->vbjorb.jar). but it seems to
> me the 'right' way to do it is going through enterprise
> setup(highlight corba, visibroker on drop down, and edit). on the
> edit configuration page, path for orb tools is the directory that
> contains the osagent.exe file. the library for projects is the
> Borland enterprise server 5.2.1 client library, which i can not find.
> did i do anything wrong, or something missing in trial version?
>
> also, what is the difference between the 'traditional' way to
> configure the Orb and the enterprise setup.

Your best bet is to go through "Enterprise | Configure servers..." and
configure BES 5.2.1. That will automatically create the VisiBroker ORB
configuration for you.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.