Run jbuilder.exe as asp.net user on w2k

Rickard Nordtröm

Jan 16, 2006, 5:04:16 AM1/16/06
Hiho!

As I understand Borland use some very odd licensing. JBuilder is registred
to "Rickard" on my computer. And as I can understand no other users on the
computer can run JBuilder. Well, I've built a tool on the IIS to automate a
great deal of the development process. But I when I try to compile with
jbuilder.exe I get the following:
------------------
JBuilder 2006 Developer (Unregistered)
Copyright (c) 1997-2005 Borland Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
12.0.203.0
License expires in 10 days
------------------
I guess it's because asp.net has no license?

Is there a way to use borland at all to accomplish automatic compile from a
web page without getting dual license on all or our machines or do I have to
change development environment?

rgds
Rickard Nordström
Sweden

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

Jan 16, 2006, 9:10:11 AM1/16/06
Rickard Nordtrvm wrote:

>Is there a way to use borland at all to accomplish automatic compile from a
>web page without getting dual license on all or our machines or do I have
>change development environment?

The problem is in the way Borland manages its licenses; you're correct in
assuming that it's a per-user license and it causes no end of grief in
environments such as yours. Two options are available.

The first option is to switch to a license server mode; contact your
Borland sales rep about getting a Belise license server for your
installation.

The other option is to configure the application launcher to point to a
single user home. Open jbuilder.config in the JBuilder bin directory and
add the following line:

vmparam -Duser.home="C:\Documents and Settings\Rickard"

That will force JBuilder to use all the settings you've configured for it,
including your license.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

NEW WHITEPAPERS
Securing Borland Enterprise Server
http://www.datadevelopment.com/papers/index.html

http://info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Jan 16, 2006, 11:26:52 AM1/16/06
Rickard Nordtröm wrote:
> Is there a way to use borland at all to accomplish automatic compile from a
> web page without getting dual license on all or our machines or do I have to
> change development environment?

Take a look at the options in JBuilder for exporting your project as an
Ant script. You might be able to use that to allow your web-based
builds to proceed without JBuilder. That is, the web builds would
simply use Ant and javac to duplicate the JBuilder build but without
actually using JBuilder itself.

Whether this will work adequately for you depends on exactly what
JBuilder features you're using. I don't think the Ant export is
perfect. There are some JBuilder build features that don't map easily
to Ant, so if you need those, then one of Kevin's ideas might work better.

--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]