ALTER Field - How can I avoid dependencies ?

qWin

Jul 17, 2008, 3:39:25 PM7/17/08

I need to ALTER MyField
TYPE Decimal(8,2) to TYPE Decimal(10,2)
but there are dependencies.

I would have to drop quite a few other things 1st
Then only make my desired change
.. and then recreate all the other dropped stuff again

Is there not a way to avoid all that?

Thanks q

qWin

Jul 17, 2008, 5:21:30 PM7/17/08
I had wanted to cheat the integrity mechanism
anyway I did the change the longwinded way
would still be interested to know if there is a way ....

"qWin" <Zulu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bill Todd [TeamB]

Jul 17, 2008, 5:54:06 PM7/17/08
qWin wrote:

> Is there not a way to avoid all that?

No.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Pavel Kutakov

Jul 18, 2008, 1:42:20 PM7/18/08
Only some third-party tools (our IBStudio for example) can build the script
to do this. This script contains several statements to drop dependend
objects, make changes in the table and recreate deleted object again. Of
course, this will work only when you are doing change to compatible datatype
so your existing SPs will not fail.

--
Best regards.
Pavel Kutakov