Interbase and UNC paths

Dave White

Jan 24, 2006, 6:05:14 PM1/24/06
I'm currently going through my code tidying things up, and in the process
I'm changing mapped drives to UNC paths for greater flexibility down the
road. The reasoning is that as the system grows, if I add another hard
drive to the server, I can just change a particular share and redirect all
accesses to that drive. While doing this, I started thinking about the
Interbase database too. Addressing this from the clients requires a fiexd
drive mapping, but it would be useful to use a UNC path instead. Is that
possible with Interbase 6?

I've Googled, but can't find any specifics. Thanks for any ideas.
--
Dave White
SpectraChrom Software

Bill Todd

Jan 24, 2006, 5:10:56 PM1/24/06
Dave White wrote:

> Is that
> possible with Interbase 6?

It is not possible with any version of InterBase. The path must always
be the path to a local (to the server) physical drive. If you upgrade
to InterBase 7.5 you can use server side aliases to accomplish what you
want. With server side aliases the path is replaced with and alias
name. If you move the database all you have to change is the path for
that alias which is done in a table on the server.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Dave White

Jan 24, 2006, 11:46:51 PM1/24/06
"Bill Todd" <n...@no.com> wrote in message

> Dave White wrote:
>
> > Is that
> > possible with Interbase 6?
>
> It is not possible with any version of InterBase. The path must always

Worth a try - thanks Bill.

TheGuason

Mar 26, 2006, 9:52:29 PM3/26/06
Bill. How can i get the path if i only know the ALIAS???
Thanks.

Bill Todd

Mar 26, 2006, 9:34:08 PM3/26/06
TheGuason wrote:

> Bill. How can i get the path if i only know the ALIAS???

Why would you want it?

If you know the SYSDBA password you can open the Admin.ib database and
query the DB_ALIAS table.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Jeff Overcash (TeamB)

Mar 27, 2006, 8:04:25 PM3/27/06

Actually the ServiceAPI allows for this. You don't have to do any queries. The
latest IBX should should expose this functionality.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's