FreeUDFLibC: undefined symbol

fxm001

May 5, 2006, 3:52:31 PM5/5/06
I have 2 new installations of Interbase 6 on 2 different linux servers 1
RH (not sure of version) on a cobalt raq4 and the other on a Suse 9.2
installation.

I have basically performed the same installation procedure for both
boxes and both report the following error when trying to delete records
from a table.

/opt/interbase/bin/isql: symbol lookup error:
/opt/interbase/UDF/FreeUDFLibC: undefined symbol: ib_util_malloc

Also I have installed the FreeUDFLibC library as directed and that also
fails during the 'make install' procedure, although it does produce a
file in the UDF directory of the interbase installation.

date_functions.o: In function `cdow_long':
date_functions.o(.text+0x2e1): undefined reference to `ib_util_malloc'

There are several of the above messages.

I have scoured the web but cannont find anything that looks like my
problem... Can someone please help me???

Tom Wilk

May 5, 2006, 11:55:35 PM5/5/06
I am not that familiar with InterBase 6.0 on Linux, but with 7.x, I
would be thinking that following two thoughts:

1. Make sure the libib_util.so library can be found by InterBase. That
is where the ib_util_malloc function resides. I have the following
environment variable defined in my local Mandriva installation:

INTERBASE=/opt/interbase

If I do a locate, Mandriva locates the following:

[root@lap-twilk twilk]# locate libib_util.so
/opt/interbase/lib/libib_util.so
/usr/lib/libib_util.so

Actually, the file in usr/lib is a symlink back to /opt/interbase/lib.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Feb 22 21:24 libib_util.so ->
/opt/interbase/lib/libib_util.so*

2. I highly recommend upgrading to FreeAdhocUDF =>
http://www.ibexpert.info/documentation/%20%203.%20Database%20Objects/%20%209.%20User-Defined%20Function%20(UDF)/%20%204.%20FreeAdhocUDF/46449.html

fxm001

May 6, 2006, 12:55:15 PM5/6/06
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your very quick response.

I didn't even realise there was an updated UDF called FreeAdhocUDF. By
upgrading to this new UDF it fixed my problem.

Many thanks, I owe you a beer or 10...

Fraser

Unknown

May 8, 2006, 8:16:19 PM5/8/06
fxm001 wrote:

> I have 2 new installations of Interbase 6 on 2 different linux
> servers 1 RH (not sure of version) on a cobalt raq4 and the other on
> a Suse 9.2 installation.

IIR InterBase on RAQ4 was a classic architecture so there won't be an
IB_Malloc as it is not necessary..

hth

--
Rob Schieck