MacOS X

George Sexton

Jan 22, 2008, 12:16:42 PM1/22/08
I tried installing JBuilder 2007 Turbo on a Mac Mini running MacOS
10.5.1 with 1GB of RAM. When I trie to run the program I get an error
message "JVM Terminated Exit code=1", and then the complete Java command
line.

I'm really not sure that JBuilder is what I'm looking for. I'm looking
for an application that will provide me with a GUI for creating Java
applications. Menu designers, Form desiners, etc. IOW, something like
Delphi. Is this what JBuilder even does?

George Sexton

Jan 22, 2008, 12:20:55 PM1/22/08

Additionally, this error message is in the Mac System logs.

1/22/08 10:19:19 AM [0x0-0xce0ce].com.borland.JBuilder[13189] Unable to
access jarfile ../../../startup.jar

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jan 23, 2008, 12:16:18 AM1/23/08
George Sexton wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>> I tried installing JBuilder 2007 Turbo on a Mac Mini running MacOS
>> 10.5.1 with 1GB of RAM. When I trie to run the program I get an error
>> message "JVM Terminated Exit code=1", and then the complete Java
>> command line.

What is the "complete Java command line"? It might be helpful to
show that in a follow-up message.

>> I'm really not sure that JBuilder is what I'm looking for. I'm looking
>> for an application that will provide me with a GUI for creating Java
>> applications. Menu designers, Form desiners, etc. IOW, something like
>> Delphi. Is this what JBuilder even does?

Maybe. JBuilder 2006 had a much better UI Designer. Some say
the one which is bundled with JBuilder 2007 (Visual Editor, not a
CodeGear piece of code -- it's an open source project which doesn't
seem to be getting much attention from IBM engineers [who else works
on Eclipse?!] over the past year or so).

> Additionally, this error message is in the Mac System logs.
>
> 1/22/08 10:19:19 AM [0x0-0xce0ce].com.borland.JBuilder[13189] Unable to
> access jarfile ../../../startup.jar

I don't have Leopard installed on any of my Macs, so I'm just taking
a wild stab at this: my guess is that the installer doesn't work
under Java 6.

Open Terminal, and at the command prompt, type:

% java -version

If it returns Java 6, then you might try right-clicking on the
installer app bundle and select "Show package contents". Find
the info.plist file and change the JVMVersion setting
(make a backup of info.plist before monkeying with it).

It's probably showing this:

<key>JVMVersion</key>
<string>1.4+</string>

You could try changing it to:

<key>JVMVersion</key>
<string>1.5</string>

Again, this is all just speculation. Proceed at your own
risk. Good luck.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:
http://info.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Thank you.

George Sexton

Jan 23, 2008, 10:52:38 AM1/23/08
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>> George Sexton wrote:
>>> I tried installing JBuilder 2007 Turbo on a Mac Mini running MacOS
>>> 10.5.1 with 1GB of RAM. When I trie to run the program I get an error
>>> message "JVM Terminated Exit code=1", and then the complete Java
>>> command line.
>
> What is the "complete Java command line"? It might be helpful to
> show that in a follow-up message.
>

>>> I'm really not sure that JBuilder is what I'm looking for. I'm
>>> looking for an application that will provide me with a GUI for
>>> creating Java applications. Menu designers, Form desiners, etc. IOW,
>>> something like Delphi. Is this what JBuilder even does?
>
> Maybe. JBuilder 2006 had a much better UI Designer. Some say
> the one which is bundled with JBuilder 2007 (Visual Editor, not a
> CodeGear piece of code -- it's an open source project which doesn't
> seem to be getting much attention from IBM engineers [who else works
> on Eclipse?!] over the past year or so).
>

>> Additionally, this error message is in the Mac System logs.
>>
>> 1/22/08 10:19:19 AM [0x0-0xce0ce].com.borland.JBuilder[13189] Unable
>> to access jarfile ../../../startup.jar

I copied startup.jar to the JBuilder2007 directory and tried starting
it. After a while, exit code 13 messages start showing up.

I tried re-installing it several different ways. It just doesn't work right.

You might want to let someone at CodeGear know (assuming they care about
product quality).

> I don't have Leopard installed on any of my Macs, so I'm just taking
> a wild stab at this: my guess is that the installer doesn't work
> under Java 6.

It's 1.5.0_13

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jan 24, 2008, 8:36:26 PM1/24/08
George Sexton wrote:

> I copied startup.jar to the JBuilder2007 directory and tried starting
> it. After a while, exit code 13 messages start showing up.

Were there instructions to do this? It seems very unusual -- the
installation package should work with everything intact, and there
shouldn't be any need to copy things elsewhere.

> I tried re-installing it several different ways. It just doesn't work
> right.
>
> You might want to let someone at CodeGear know (assuming they care about
> product quality).

You will have to file a bug report at Quality Central if
you want them to know about it.

I can see whether the installation works on 10.4 (Tiger) --
maybe there's something I can extrapolate from the experience.
(Just looking at the Turbo download ... 120 MB of 436 MB, 11
minutes remaining! I'll get back to you later.)

> It's 1.5.0_13

Hmmmm.

George Sexton

Jan 27, 2008, 7:41:24 PM1/27/08
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>

>> You might want to let someone at CodeGear know (assuming they care
>> about product quality).
>
> You will have to file a bug report at Quality Central if
> you want them to know about it.

I'm just freak old fashioned that way. This isn't open source, and I'm a
potential paying customer. What I'm paying for obviously is service and
the integration.

If the service sucks, and the software doesn't work, then there's not a
whole lot of point in me purchasing this stuff is there. I could
download any number of applications from the internet and beat my head
against a wall because they don't install, and then file a bug on some
stupid substitute for customer service.

You should forward this to someone at Codegear. Perhaps they'll get a
clue, and not go under. I don't really care about JBuilder, but I'm
pretty fond of Delphi.

Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Jan 28, 2008, 10:44:11 AM1/28/08
George Sexton wrote:
> If the service sucks, and the software doesn't work

Did you try contacting CodeGear Support? They offer free install
support for all products.

http://support.codegear.com/install

These newsgroups are "peer support" groups, so unless someone else has
experienced a similar problem or knows the solution, there's a limit to
the amount of help you can expect to receive. CodeGear runs the
servers, but the support itself is done by the likes of you and me.

--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

George Sexton

Jan 28, 2008, 4:27:58 PM1/28/08
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB] wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>> If the service sucks, and the software doesn't work
>
> Did you try contacting CodeGear Support? They offer free install
> support for all products.

Here's their response. I guess my original comments are valid. If it
doesn't work, and the support sucks then I'm not going to buy it.

George:

Unfortunately, JBuilder 2007 is not certified under MacOSX 10.5.

I recommend checking with the public newsgroups for additional assistance:

http://support.codegear.com/newsgroups/directory

Good luck,

Paul Furbacher [TeamB]

Jan 30, 2008, 11:40:16 AM1/30/08
I've finally had a chance to install JBuilder Turbo 2007 on a system
which is running Tiger (10.4). I realize that you are running
Leopard -- unfortunately, I haven't upgraded any of my Macs to it.

The installation does work on my system. Looking at the console
output, it says that ultimately, the launcher is running the
installer from the following folder:

[path-to-where-you-unarchived-the-download]/MacOSX/Disk1/InstData/

What happens if you navigate in the Finder to where you
unarchived the download, and then navigate into

MacOSX/Disk1/InstData

to find and run (by double-clicking on it)

jbinstall

?

Before you do this, open Console.app, clear the console.log (clear
button in toolbar), and then run the installer. If it doesn't
succeed, paste the contents of the console log in a follow up
message. Maybe we'll be able to figure out something, such as
an incompatibility between the InstallAnywhere software and Leopard
or something.

Lori M Olson [TeamB]

Feb 1, 2008, 12:09:53 AM2/1/08
Paul Furbacher [TeamB] wrote:
> I've finally had a chance to install JBuilder Turbo 2007 on a system
> which is running Tiger (10.4). I realize that you are running
> Leopard -- unfortunately, I haven't upgraded any of my Macs to it.
>
> The installation does work on my system. Looking at the console
> output, it says that ultimately, the launcher is running the
> installer from the following folder:
>
> [path-to-where-you-unarchived-the-download]/MacOSX/Disk1/InstData/
>
> What happens if you navigate in the Finder to where you
> unarchived the download, and then navigate into
>
> MacOSX/Disk1/InstData
>
> to find and run (by double-clicking on it)
>
> jbinstall
>
> ?

Well, I finally got a copy of JB2007R2 (Enterprise) downloaded, and I
installed it on Leopard. The install worked perfectly, as does the
application.

This problem George reported must be specific to the version of the
installer used for Turbo.

I'll try to go and download a copy of Turbo to confirm.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson [TeamB]

Save yourself some time and search the newsgroups and the
other available community resources before posting your
next question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
http://www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Ruby Resources: