JBuilder2008

Bruce Houghtron

May 15, 2008, 8:33:30 AM5/15/08
To all;
When ever I have time I've gone in an looked at the
new CodeGear thingo. I tried with 2007, an just now
I am trying again with 2008.
My Problem is, I can get started.
I've tried Importing one of my legacy JBuilder2006 Projects
but it seems to get half way there then stop.
I've looked every where for a Getting Started example an haven't found one
yet...
Also, it seems to want to start ACServer.exe, and TPTPProcessContoller.exe.
What are these? My firewall will no let them through. Are they mandatory
for JBuilder2008?
Am I bound forever with JBuilder2006?
Bruce H

Bruce Houghtron

May 19, 2008, 10:43:23 AM5/19/08
Well, I was able to import a simple project from JBuilder2006
and promptly discovered that there was no Line Numbering in the
editor. I think it took me over a hour to figure out how to turn that
on. Next I discovered that the Turbo version I downloaded didn't
support a designer. I deleted the Turbo version and downloaded a
Trial Enterprise Version and went at it again. Finding, or refinding
Line Numbering took an equal amount of time as it did the first time.

1.As most of my stuff are Applets, I discovered that the only
version that supports Applets is the Professional Version.
2.The performance of the product is horrendous.
3.I was unable to do a quick lookup(Help) of JTable, or a JComboBox
4.I tried to set up a new project after closing the Legacy project that I
was
in, and it just added the new project to the Legacy project. I not even sure
it was
a project. Quite frankly I was not quit sure what it had generated.
5.Also, I looked for an hour to find an option where the Tool
would generate a Jar file.
This is where I stopped...
My observations are(I been using JBuilder for about 10 years) the tool
is not intuitively obvious, and is very complicated and until they offer
a tool at least equivalent to JBuilder2006, I will continue to Backup my
copy of JBuilder2006 on every PC I own.

A very disappointed Bruce Houghton
PS.I am looking for a way to get this message to the CodeGear developers.

"Bruce Houghtron" <bho...@globalserve.net> wrote in message

Kevin Dean [TeamB]

May 19, 2008, 11:31:06 AM5/19/08
Bruce Houghtron wrote:

>My observations are(I been using JBuilder for about 10 years) the tool
>is not intuitively obvious, and is very complicated and until they offer
>a tool at least equivalent to JBuilder2006, I will continue to Backup my
>copy of JBuilder2006 on every PC I own.

Your observations are generally shared by most of us with a long history
with JBuilder. The problem is the Eclipse platform: it's feature-rich and
design-poor, with everyone developing their own plug-ins to extend it as
they see fit, often in incompatible ways (from a user flow basis) with
other plug-ins or the Eclipse environment itself.

That being said, JBuilder 2008 is a substantial improvement. It takes
some getting used to, but there are aspects of it that are superior to
JBuilder 2006. There are aspect of 2006 that are still missing in 2008,
but those holes are getting fewer and fewer with each release.

The SwingDesigner (a third-party product) included with JBuilder 2008 does
a better job than the older JBuilder designer, though the only thing I'm
not sure of is the migration capabilities from the latter to the former (I
haven't migrated any old projects yet).

>A very disappointed Bruce Houghton
>PS.I am looking for a way to get this message to the CodeGear developers.

CodeGear is well aware of the issues and does monitor these groups.

--
Kevin Dean [TeamB]
Dolphin Data Development Ltd.

Please see CodeGear's newsgroup guidelines at
http://support.codegear.com/newsgroups/guidelines