Any tutorials about "OO Design"

Alan T

Jan 8, 2008, 12:43:37 AM1/8/08
Any tutorials on "OO Design"?
I refer this "OO Design" to what we are discussing here. But not the ones in
the book inheritence, encapsulation,...., it should be the Business Object,
OPF, ...etc.

Joanna Carter [TeamB]

Jan 8, 2008, 5:40:41 AM1/8/08
Alan T a écrit :

I have given some tutorials at user group meetings but found the biggest
problem was that I couldn't cover what everyone was expecting. This is
mainly due to people having their own problem domains in mind when they
attend and what I taught didn't necessarily cover their particular
problem area. I could write a book with all the possible advice but,
since it would probably never get published and that nobody wants to pay
for anything nowadays, it really wasn't going to be worth my while.

Over the past few years, this forum has become a valuable repository of
ideas on OO design so, if you can post an idea of a particular domain
that you are trying to model, I am sure we can come up with some
interesting design suggestions.

Or you could try Googling for OPF, VTF, MVP; I am sure you will find
something of interest there.

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter [TeamB]
Consultant Software Engineer

Alan T

Jan 9, 2008, 6:53:44 PM1/9/08
Hi Joanna,

I posted several time over here and non-technical NG about 'how to start'. I
really get stuck in the very first beginning how to do/learn with that.

eg.
GUI<->BO<->Data access layer<->Database

I just need a very simple example to get started but no luck.

"Joanna Carter [TeamB]" <joa...@nospam.for.me> wrote in message

Joanna Carter [TeamB]

Jan 10, 2008, 4:53:47 AM1/10/08
Alan T a écrit :

> I posted several time over here and non-technical NG about 'how to start'. I
> really get stuck in the very first beginning how to do/learn with that.
>
> eg.
> GUI<->BO<->Data access layer<->Database
>
> I just need a very simple example to get started but no luck.

That would be because there really is no simple example to give. For
example, the frameworks that I have written over the past half dozen or
so years have evolved to a point where they are really design patterns
rather than just a hierarchy.

Did you read Scott Ambler's paper on OPF?

Did you Google for < "Joanna Carter" VTF > or < "Joanna Carter" MVP >?

Not saying that I am the only source of information, it is just that my
name will usually appear in most discussions on these topics in the
oodesign group.

There are even code examples to be found in these Google searches.

If you have already looked in these places, then we need to know what
parts of the puzzle you are missing.

Graeme Geldenhuys

Jan 15, 2008, 2:45:05 AM1/15/08
Alan T wrote:
> Hi Joanna,
>
> I posted several time over here and non-technical NG about 'how to start'. I
> really get stuck in the very first beginning how to do/learn with that.
>
> eg.
> GUI<->BO<->Data access layer<->Database
>
> I just need a very simple example to get started but no luck.

Have a look at the Concepts Document of tiOPF. That might be of help.
It's starts with a simple example and explains the problems you will
face and what OPF's try to fix. It then starts changing the code to fix
issues, one by one. You'll end up with a 'lite' version of a OPF - or at
least the beginnings of a OPF framework. At which point - if you are
interested you can switch to the full tiOPF framework.

http://tiopf.sourceforge.net/Doc/Concepts/index.shtml

Regards,
- Graeme -

fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Alan T

Jan 15, 2008, 7:42:13 PM1/15/08
Thanks Graeme.
I'll have a look at that.

Lee Jenkins

Jun 28, 2008, 3:28:50 AM6/28/08

Alan, if you can get a copy of "Head First Design Patterns", I think you'll find
it invaluable. The GoF book is of course great, but reading Head First Design
Patterns was the perfect primer for me since I found the teach style
entertaining and engaging.

It's written for Java but the examples very simple.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee