information about client-server applications wanted.

Jos

Aug 23, 2008, 1:19:58 PM8/23/08
I'm looking for information about designing and building Client-Server
applications. Let me first start by explaining how the application
currently works. I'm trying to be as specific as I can, but feel free
to ask for more information if you need it.

The application uses a Business Class framework that we designed and
build. No two configurations of the application are the same. The
framework consists of multiple Business Classes and each BC has
multiple attributes (= fields). The customer has almost complete
control over how the framework is configured for his specific needs.
He can also configure the layout of the fields on his forms as he
wants them. When a user asks for a specific form (for instance an
Order form) the application gets that imformation from the Database
and returns it as a Business Object. So a Business Object is a data
object that is defined by its Business Class.
Currently the application is one executable that does everything, so
it is used both for configuration as normal dataquering by the users.
We are thinking to redesigning using a more client server approach
where there is a strict seperation between a server application that
gets a request from his clients to retrieve the data from the database
and return it to the client. So if the user wants to see a specific
order the client sends a request to the server for that order and the
server returns the Business Object for that order.

I'm looking for information on how to go about this, and I think I
should mention that I have absolutly no experience building a client-
server applications. So any information is welcome. I've come up with
the following options that are available for us:
- The first option is to completly abandon the current framework for
an existing framework that is ready to use in a client-server
configuration. The downside of this option is that we will have to
completly rebuild the application. This would only be an option if the
framework will save us so much time that the rebuild can be justified.
- The second option would be to redesign our framework so it can be
used in a client-server mode. But I would like some information on how
to send the business object (data) to the client. But how can I make
sure that only the information that is needed is send to the client.
That is currently one of the major problems that we have, there is too
much data trafic from the database to the clients and I would like to
minimize this.
- Maybe somebody has another option that could be of use to us...

Another consideration is to be ready to build a webclient that uses
the same server application.

I hope I made myself clear on what we are looking for.

Jos.