Codegear sold

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 7:07:06 AM5/7/08
http://tinyurl.com/5c942g

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--Borland Software Corporation
(NASDAQ:BORL), the global leader in Open Application Lifecycle Management
(ALM), today announced preliminary financial results for the first quarter
ended March 31, 2008. Borland also announced today a definitive agreement to
sell the assets of its individual developer tools unit, CodeGear, to
Embarcadero Technologies. The purchase price for CodeGear is expected to be
approximately $23 million. Borland will also retain CodeGear's accounts
receivables with an approximate value of an additional $7 million. The
transaction is expected to close by June 30, 2008.

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 7:17:57 AM5/7/08

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:05:59 AM5/7/08

Damn, if we had known that was the price, we could have bandied together
all of the customers to buy it out. Thats not a lot of money.

Don't think I like this. The good thing is that there is no SOX. On the
down side, this looks like an enterprise sales shop. There is not even
pricing on their web page. "Contact us for pricing" type of thing.

It almost feels like a mullet eating a shark.

---
Dean

--- posted by geoForum on http://delphi.newswhat.com

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:09:09 AM5/7/08
>The good thing is that there is no SOX.

Scratch that, seems like SOX is still an issue :(

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 7:34:58 AM5/7/08
I'm just downloading trial of their RapidSQL product that started company 15
years ago.
It is heavy, 165Mb.

"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 7:56:06 AM5/7/08
There is a lot "platform-independent" wording in synergy explanation.

And, one of buyers products is packaged as Eclipse plugin.

My download is above 90%.

David Berneda

May 7, 2008, 7:57:40 AM5/7/08
ide:
http://www.embarcadero.com/news/product_photos/RapidSQL_highres.jpg

Dean Hill

May 7, 2008, 9:46:38 AM5/7/08
Ok, my guestimations so far:

They have a turnover of around $60 million per year. That means if I
assume that with 100000 end-users they have 60000 active end-users.
Their upgrade pricing is around $1000 per year per end-user.

It would be nice to hear from the CG staff as to what they feel about
this whole thing (Letter from CEO says to ask). The more I look at it,
the more I don't like it. I fear it's more of the same. Another Borland
looking to use CG to hawk their existing products on the Delphi
bandwagon. New development in the form of adding some ET stuff to Delphi.

The letter from the CEO talks about the benefits that the IDE stuff can
bring to their Database tools and how their database stuff can make the
IDE stuff better. That sounds like Oracle Forms or one of those
products. I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there are 100
other products already doing that.

Farshad

May 7, 2008, 8:00:18 AM5/7/08

"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/5c942g
>
> AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2008--Borland Software Corporation
> (NASDAQ:BORL), the global leader in Open Application Lifecycle Management

Gush! If it was April 1st I'd expect it to be a joke!

Unknown

May 7, 2008, 8:08:28 AM5/7/08
Dean Hill wrote:
> I don't need better database stuff in Delphi, there
> are 100 other products already doing that.

I agree. It looks like a database shop. Can't believe they are
swallowing CG, and not the other way around.

Ivan Rakyta

May 7, 2008, 8:16:17 AM5/7/08
I hope they still keep selling it ;)

Ivan Rakyta

May 7, 2008, 8:15:03 AM5/7/08
To me it looks like they have their business dependent on Delphi and they
were tired of uncertanities, so they just bought it with the whole company
<g>

Marco Sangali

May 7, 2008, 8:23:07 AM5/7/08
I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Regards,
Marco

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 8:19:56 AM5/7/08
It uses InstallShield.

Two Install Types. Worksation and Client.
Workstation works on your comp,
Client, requires Licence server, to control usage on several workstations.
Workstation requires licence file on your comp.

It asociates sql and eqb extensions.

Copying files ... Lounch RapisSQL. Checked.

Splashing takes 5-10 seconds.

After that, everything disapears.

5-10 seconds more(Core duo 2.8G, 2Mb RAm), there is application.

I have choice of IBM DB2, Oracle, MS SQL, MySql, Sybase and ODBC.

4 OCX files, and 70 JAR files.

TeeChart5 is one of OCXes. So, it uses some Delphi code.

Congrats David.

"David Berneda" <da...@steema.com> wrote in message

Anton Zhuchkov

May 7, 2008, 8:22:17 AM5/7/08
David Wilcockson wrote:

> http://www.embarcadero.com/

Well, as it says at their website title they are up to cross platform
solutions. Is it means that Delphi goes cross platform soon? ;)

Henrick Hellström

May 7, 2008, 8:26:38 AM5/7/08
Dean Hill wrote:
> Damn, if we had known that was the price, we could have bandied together
> all of the customers to buy it out. Thats not a lot of money.

The initial costs are always higher than the actual purchase price, in
particular if the seller keeps all financial assets.

yannis

May 7, 2008, 8:26:01 AM5/7/08
After serious thinking Anton Zhuchkov wrote :

nop just that they use java a lot.

regards
Yannis.

--
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell.
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Hrvoje Brozovic

May 7, 2008, 8:52:10 AM5/7/08
It dicovered and properly recognized MS SQL and IBM DB servers at my
location.

I don't know. It is not a delphi app. Uses lot of third party stuff, a whole
bunch from Tom Sawyer Software for example.

Uses both CharFX and TeeChart. Empty app takes about 50Mb.

Lot of WebBrowser control usage.

I hope that their plan is to rewrite all this in Delphi, but most probably
wishfull thinkning.

My fear is that their are after CG java stuff. Please, don't let it be a
case.

App looks good, but I have no idea how much it costs.

"Hrvoje Brozovic" <a...@c.de> wrote in message

Marc Rohloff [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 8:54:43 AM5/7/08
On Wed, 7 May 2008 12:07:06 +0100, David Wilcockson wrote:

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Martin Müller

May 7, 2008, 9:00:06 AM5/7/08
> App looks good, but I have no idea how much it costs.

http://www.embarcadero.com/news/reviews/1674E_SQL_EMBAeprint.pdf

Rapid SQL 7.4: Price starts at $995 for the single-platform Pro version
and $2895 for multiplatform Pro versions

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 9:07:30 AM5/7/08
David Wilcockson wrote:

DavidI wrote about it, too:

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a
good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
-- George Burns.

Alan Garny

May 7, 2008, 9:00:28 AM5/7/08
"David Wilcockson" <dnwatlibriosdotcom> wrote in message

Please someone wakes me up! :(

I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to be
all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not what I
use Delphi for.

Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
right. Time will soon tell us though!

Alan

David Champion

May 7, 2008, 9:01:54 AM5/7/08

I would like to know how much of Embarcadero Technologies is owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo. It looks to me like an investment vehicle for them.
They may grow it with more acquisitions. And its good that CodeGear is out of Borland's hands.

Delphinian

May 7, 2008, 9:09:54 AM5/7/08
> I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to be
> all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not what I
> use Delphi for.
Same here. I don't need database stuff.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

May 7, 2008, 9:16:57 AM5/7/08
Marco Sangali wrote:

> I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Better them than giant ants..

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Brian

May 7, 2008, 9:30:33 AM5/7/08
Seems to me they could now put together something like a VS Team Edition For
Database Professionals!!!

I could definitely use it...

Brian Hollister

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 9:26:23 AM5/7/08
"Marco Sangali" wrote in message <news:48219f2a$2...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> I, for one, welcome our new Embarcadero overlords...

Sound more like embargo :-))

Hopefully things are changing even though and I can now download the
CodeGear products w/o the need of a local resellers in the near future.

--
cu,
Michael

Thomas Miller

May 7, 2008, 9:25:54 AM5/7/08
ER/Studio is one of the most popular database modeling tools in the
world. This is good news if you use Delphi to develop DB related
programs as this company will certainly stress that part of the
development tools product line.

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://programmers.cpcug.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromeportal/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Frank J

May 7, 2008, 9:27:01 AM5/7/08

"Troy Wolbrink" <troy.w...@ccci.org> wrote in message

>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132
>>

> "...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder
> 2007; managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and
> JBuilder 2008 with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for
> PHP and 3rdRail Ruby on Rails IDE."
>
> Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET
> is never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

I think "managed space" covers it.

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:24:35 AM5/7/08

> http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132

"...In the native space - Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder 2007;
managed space - JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008
with Application Factories; dynamic languages - Delphi for PHP and 3rdRail
Ruby on Rails IDE."

Delphi for .NET is not mentioned under the "managed space". In fact .NET is
never mentioned. What does this strange omission mean, if anything?

--Troy

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:27:13 AM5/7/08
"Anton Zhuchkov" <fir...@mail.ru> wrote in message

> Well, as it says at their website title they are up to cross platform
> solutions. Is it means that Delphi goes cross platform soon? ;)

EMBT has developer/database tools for Windows and also for other platforms.
Some of their products also use Eclipse framework. Delphi for now is still
focused on native code for Windows. Together we have a UNIQUE opportunity
for launching brand new products we could never have created without each
other.
David I, CodeGear

David Wilcockson

May 7, 2008, 9:34:31 AM5/7/08
> Some of their products also use Eclipse framework. Delphi for now is
> still focused on native code for Windows.

There is no mention of Delphi .NET products, and no current roadmap: is
there a future for Delphi ASP.NET and VCL.NET?

For example, in your article http://dn.codegear.com/article/38132, Delphi is
not mentioned within the managed space:

"In the native space – Delphi and Delphi/400 for Win32, C++Builder 2007;
managed space – JBuilder 2007, JGear plug-ins for Eclipse, and JBuilder 2008
with Application Factories; dynamic languages – Delphi for PHP and 3rdRail
Ruby on Rails IDE"

David

Troy Wolbrink

May 7, 2008, 9:34:14 AM5/7/08
Does this mean they will no longer be using the
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\BDS" registry path? ;)

--Troy

Robert Wachtel

May 7, 2008, 9:22:15 AM5/7/08
If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarcadero_Technologies
http://www.embarcadero.com/news/press_releases/ThomaCressyEquityAcquisition.html

Robert

--
http://blog.robertsoft.de/

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:28:33 AM5/7/08
"Hrvoje Brozovic" <a...@c.de> wrote in message
> And, one of buyers products is packaged as Eclipse plugin.

With JBuilder and 3rdRail using Eclipse and EMBT also using Eclipse (as well
as Windows) there are some interesting integrations we can do.

Michael Fritz

May 7, 2008, 9:29:13 AM5/7/08
"Robert Wachtel" wrote in message <news:4821...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> If I understand correctly Embarcadero is a private company fully owned by Thoma Cressey Bravo.

Doesn't really sound good, IMO.

--
cu,
Michael

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:31:52 AM5/7/08

> I don't know. It is not a delphi app. Uses lot of third party stuff, a
> whole bunch from Tom Sawyer Software for example.
> I hope that their plan is to rewrite all this in Delphi, but most probably
> wishfull thinkning.
> My fear is that their are after CG java stuff. Please, don't let it be a
> case.

We will work together to integrate Delphi and some of their tooling as well
as create new products. Don't fear - EMBT is excited about Delphi big time.
Some of their developers learned programming on Turbo Pascal. They are all
developers just as we are. Stay tuned for things we will do together.
Delphi can use more database design, development, and optimization tooling.
The combined company, technologies, and products will move Delphi's database
capabilities forward much faster than on our own.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:39:36 AM5/7/08
"Alan Garny" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> I have never heard of that company before and the fact that they seem to
> be all database stuff oriented doesn't appeal to me at all. That's not
> what I use Delphi for.

EMBT is a database tools company. Tools for developers, tools for DBAs. If
your Delphi application works with databases, then their DB tooling can help
you. Check out their SQL debugger and SQL profiler for example.

> Those who have been claiming the end of Delphi for years might finally be
> right. Time will soon tell us though!

Delphi is used for a lot of database application development. Combined we
will be able to integrate more database tooling into future generations of
Delphi. Delphi will be around for years and years to come.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:34:16 AM5/7/08
"Martin Müller" <use...@martinopia.com> wrote in message

> Rapid SQL 7.4: Price starts at $995 for the single-platform Pro version
> and $2895 for multiplatform Pro versions

Check out their recently announced PowerSQL Personal Edition (1 Year
Subscription)
PowerSQL - An Eclipse-based SQL IDE for application developers.
$99.00

They also have SQL Debugger and SQL Profiler. Great tools for developers
building database applications. And if you use/have a DBA - they have tools
for those members of the team too.

David Intersimone

May 7, 2008, 9:37:43 AM5/7/08