Firefox Speed €?

Marcia Swindell

Dec 2, 2023, 4:23:48 PM12/2/23
Firefox is one of the fastest browsers around, now even overtaking Chrome, and also offers great security and privacy. The latest Firefox Quantum is already fast enough even for content-heavy websites. However, we can go even further. These tips below will show you how to speed up Firefox to make it faster than ever.

The first and easiest thing you can do is make sure your Firefox is up to date. This is the most effortless way to speed up Firefox because the developers are making every effort to make Firefox faster and perform better. To check for updates here is how to do it:

Firefox Speed
Download Zip https://t.co/FkFWzNyIlq

Firefox and some plugins use your graphics card to speed up the display of web content. In addition, advanced web features like WebGL (Web Graphics Library) also need a graphics card to improve performance. To speed up Firefox, you may need to update your graphics card drivers.

We led the tech to run 3D games at near-native speeds, and now Firefox is bringing better performance to online gaming. Our powerful browser reduces lags, speeds up ping times and optimizes overall gameplay through faster, leaner browsing.

What good is that super fast Internet connection when your browser is running at dial-up speed? This article will point you in the right direction to track down and fix the problem. Of course, if you need extra help with any of this, we have a community of volunteers standing by.

(3A) Double-click the mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y preference and type in a higher value to make each movement of the wheel cover more ground. For example, you could try 300 or 500. You can keep this tab open and experiment with scrolling in a different tab until you find a value that gives you the speed you're looking for.

(3B) Double-click the mousewheel.system_scroll_override_on_root_content.vertical.factor preference and type in a higher value. For example, try changing 200 to 500. You can keep this tab open and experiment with scrolling in a different tab until you find a value that gives you the speed you're looking for.

Firefox is one of the top web browsers available today. The Firefox browser developers always perform updates to improve page speed whenever a new feature is introduced. Still, sometimes you want to increase the Firefox page loading speed.

Since your Firefox browser limits the number of simultaneous connections to a single server, upping this limit will make a noticeable speed change to pages with many images or videos. This is given your bandwidth can handle it.

These functions use your graphics card to speed up certain functions, especially loading videos. However, this can cause slow load times or blurry text, especially with older operating systems or graphics cards.

If you are experiencing very slow page load speeds on a broadband connection, consider resetting Firefox to remove a buggy add-on or setting change. This will delete all your add-ons, themes, and download history, and return your settings to default.

The toolbar includes a Throttling dropdown, which allows you to throttle your network speed to emulate various different network speed conditions. Choose an option from the menu, and it will persist across reloads.

Nearly all web browsers have similar speeds when actually browsing the web, so "speed" actually comes down to the performance and how you use the program. Whether you're already a Firefox user or switching from Chrome to Firefox, this guide will tell you how to speed it up.

The new version of Firefox integrates add-ons like Pocket out of the box, whether you want them or not. Removing them can speed up the browser's startup time and memory usage. Start with these tweaks:

These tips and tricks are excellent ways to speed up your slow Firefox browser. But the most common reason your browser runs slow is the tabs. Unless you make an effort to handle your tabs well, none of these tweaks will have a long-lasting effect. So whatever you do, make sure you learn tab management in Firefox Quantum. And try these special tools from Mozilla to improve your overall browsing experience. Be sure to add some Firefox keyboard shortcuts to your workflow, too.

One of my friends also has the same problem and he's in another country.
(and to be honest I asked around 10 friends and only one of them has this problem, so it's not really easy to reproduce)
Few people on the internet has had this problem but no helpful answers to it.
e.g. _uploads_capped_at_25mbs_in_firefox_not/

I just messaged a friend of mine and he's located in Portugal with 100mbps connection, he also has the same problem. He never noticed it until I asked him now. His upload speed is 7MB/s on Firefox and 15MB/s on chrome or any other browser.

But reading the title (upload speed slow) - I don't think so. Tailing only delays opening a network request for tracking requests and resources. When such a request starts, tailing has zero influence on that.

As I said in my OP, I tried everything from fresh Windows install to trying from countless other PCs (friends' PCs etc..) Every ISP in Jordan gives me the same problem with upload speed on Firefox. It's so weird to say the least.

Hello adam, thanks for confirming the issue on your end. The issue with Firefox upload can be easily reproduced and it's so clear with Google Drive for those affected, but if the issue was only with Google Drive I don't think I would've opened this ticket, I noticed it also on ZippyShare and many other upload sites and even some speedtests like for example.

Could you try to gather more statistics about upload speed for moving this forward?
(a) Chrome with quic turned off (in chrome://flags)
(b) Firefox with http3 turned on (toggling network.http.http3.enabled value to true in about:config)

In Chrome, when I set "Experimental QUIC protocol" from "default" to "disabled", my upload speed gets significantly lower, max 11MB/s, but with it being set on default I get 48MB/s which is what I should be getting.

Now moving to Firefox, when I set network.http.http3.enabled to "true", I get extremely lower upload speed, around 20KB/s, yes you read that right, it's 20 kilobytes per second! and it even gets stuck sometimes and the file doesn't get uploaded.

Hey everyone, I've been following this thread and made an account just to help out. I'm on v77.0.1 running on MacOS 14.6. My upload speeds are limited to around 5MB/s, while Chrome and Safari top out around 26MB/s. I've tested the TLS downgrade workaround mentioned early and can confirm that it brings my upload speeds in Firefox in line with other browsers. I've downloaded the nightly to test the http3 setting and it behaves just as Ahmad noted above.

This bug didn't initially mention http3 at all. I've opened bug 1648266 for http3 upload speed issues. I suggest we keep enabling http3 out of the picture for this issue, which seems to not strictly depend on http3 use.

We definitely need log to see what cuases the slowness, network code or NSS-related code, but I'll wait for bug 1638925 to have a more informative log. We might focus on the reason 80% slower upload speed from TLS 1.2

The problem is in HTTP/2. If you disable HTTP/2 (via network.http.spdy.enabled.http2 and restart the browser. This doesn't reduce security so you can use this as a permanent workaround), you'll achieve maximum speed. Since this only happens while uploading, I'm guessing it's related to how HTTP/2 interacts with TCP congestion control.

I've set up a local HTTPS Golang server with TLS 1.2 + CBC_SHA and TLS 1.2 + GCM_SHA256 and TLS 1.3 + GCM_SHA256. Tested with a 100MB file, their speeds were approximately equal (160-200MB/s). Then I enabled HTTP/2 of the Golang server caused upload speed to decrease to 110MB/s. HTTP/2 doesn't support AES_128_CBC_SHA but only AES_128_GCM_SHA256 so forcing the use of AES_128_CBC_SHA disabled HTTP/2 and the reporter was able to achieve full speeds. I was able to achieve high speeds on my machine but still significantly lower than HTTP1.1, which suggests as I wrote "related to how HTTP/2 interacts with congestion control".

mcccs, can give me a summary:
Are upload speed with HTTP/2 lower on Firefox than on Chrome? (chrome should use HTTP/2 as well. not HTTP/3(HTTP/3 in firefox is still in development it is not ready yet))

Thanks mcccs and all the others for investigating this. I can confirm that setting network.http.spdy.enabled.http2 to false increased my upload speed on FF to 10MB/s instead of 2MB/s, still not what I should be getting but it's probably a Google Drive compatibility thingy with FF. I upgraded my fiber connection to 600Mbps so I should be getting 60MB/s on Google Drive upload (60MB/s is the max Google Drive allows per file upload. I tested on chrome/edge and I got 59MB/s)

Today Firefox updated to version 89.0 and I noticed my browser upload speed got significantly better but still not what I should be getting. I now get 15MB/s instead of max 2MB/s on previous versions of Firefox. Did they update or do something regarding this?
eebf2c3492