D2006 hits the UK

John Howe <john

Dec 1, 2005, 10:18:30 AM12/1/05
Hi Guys,

A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
running and looking good.

Weird, it seems to have hi the UK B4 the U.S.A

Regards

John Howe
http://www.atobviac.com

Sebastian Ledesma [Solidyne Labs]

Dec 1, 2005, 10:30:58 AM12/1/05
Well, Borland was right, BDS will be delivered in early december!!!

Congratss!!

Sebastian

"John Howe @atobviac.com>" <john <noSpam> escribió en el mensaje

Venkatesh VT

Dec 1, 2005, 9:41:29 AM12/1/05

Congrats!I hope I get my Delphi Architect soon in India since it gets shipped from Singapore
Venkatesh

David Perkins

Dec 1, 2005, 10:57:50 AM12/1/05
> A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> running and looking good.

I'm not amused.

David
BCB2006 on pre-order. ETA mid-January

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 10:30:05 AM12/1/05
John Howe wrote:

> A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> running and looking good.

Other than huge grats etc.. I meant to ask.

Which version did you get?? pro?

--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: http://www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Iman L Crawford

Dec 1, 2005, 11:32:52 AM12/1/05
John Howe <john <noSpam>@atobviac.com> wrote in news:VA.0000001c.082c91d0
@dial.pipex.com:

> Weird, it seems to have hi the UK B4 the U.S.A

Hey! You got my copy.

--
Iman

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 10:29:27 AM12/1/05
John Howe wrote:

> A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> running and looking good.

WOW

grats!

Brian (UK)

Dec 1, 2005, 12:05:41 PM12/1/05

Just received email from Borland stating shipped today. So here tomorrow
then. Enterprise ver. UK again...

John Howe

Dec 1, 2005, 12:38:40 PM12/1/05
Hi Liz,

Up-Downgraded from D2005 Architect to D2006 Enterprise.

Did not use any of the Architect stuff from D2005, come to think of it
did not use D2005, could not get it stable enough<G>

Based on the last couple of hours, looks like D7 might, after a number
of years of valiant service, be putting it's boots up for a while.

Do you know something I'm gonna miss that old war horse...

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 11:51:16 AM12/1/05
John Howe wrote:

> Do you know something I'm gonna miss that old war horse...

Its like an old jumper, you love it, despite a few holes.. and a new
one being equally warm and smarter, its just not the old one

Peter Zolja

Dec 1, 2005, 1:36:18 PM12/1/05
> A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> running and looking good.

Impressions?

John Howe

Dec 1, 2005, 2:07:42 PM12/1/05
Hi Peter,

Only been going a few hours, still frantically rebuilding third party
components. Has not hung yet and seems far more responsive than 2005
was.

Need to build a few more libraries yet before hitting it with a big
app, then we shall see...

Peter Zolja

Dec 1, 2005, 2:14:58 PM12/1/05
> Only been going a few hours, still frantically rebuilding third party
> components. Has not hung yet and seems far more responsive than 2005
> was.

Cool, thanks... keep us posted.

tony

Dec 1, 2005, 1:37:48 PM12/1/05
David Perkins wrote:

Did you order the Pro version by chance?

John Howe

Dec 1, 2005, 2:47:50 PM12/1/05
Hi Tony,

No, I Up-Downgraded from D2005 Architect to D2006 Enterprise

Rgds

John Howe
http://www.atobviac.com

John Jacobson

Dec 1, 2005, 2:52:05 PM12/1/05
David Perkins <ple...@no-spam.com> wrote in message
<438f...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> > A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> > running and looking good.
>
> I'm not amused.

Given how expensive it is, I suppose my wife wouldn't be too happy if I bought
D2006 before I landed my next gig. Rats.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1765

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 2:01:06 PM12/1/05
John Jacobson wrote:

> Given how expensive it is, I suppose my wife wouldn't be too happy if
> I bought D2006 before I landed my next gig. Rats.

:((

bummer

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 2:28:07 PM12/1/05
Installing mine now.... :)

--
Colin - Author of XanaNews

Ping Kam

Dec 1, 2005, 3:42:43 PM12/1/05
Afer reading your post this morning, I was wondering when we in Canada would
receive it. I went out for lunch, came back and my D2006E was sitting on my
desk.

Now I need to cut another VM for it.

Ping Kam

"John Howe @atobviac.com>" <john <noSpam> wrote in message
> [...]

Ingvar Anderberg

Dec 1, 2005, 3:47:10 PM12/1/05

"John Jacobson" skrev i meddelandet

>> I'm not amused.
>
> Given how expensive it is, I suppose my wife wouldn't be too happy if I bought
> D2006 before I landed my next gig. Rats.

can't you also buy something for her, a flower perhaps :)

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 2:45:55 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

> Installing mine now.... :)

Wow!! lucky you!

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 2:57:50 PM12/1/05
Ingvar Anderberg wrote:

> can't you also buy something for her, a flower perhaps :)

:> code her one in delphi that grows each time she lets you spend time
coding :)

tony

Dec 1, 2005, 3:34:19 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

> Installing mine now.... :)

Let us know what you think.

Tony

tony

Dec 1, 2005, 3:43:18 PM12/1/05
John Howe wrote:

I looked up my order today(pro) and it still says backordered :-(

At work we also downgraded from Arch to Ent with SA.

Later,

Tony

Max

Dec 1, 2005, 6:21:57 PM12/1/05

What IDE startup times do we have now?

-Win32 personality only ?
-All personalities ?

Without 3rd party components!

Max

Dec 1, 2005, 6:17:47 PM12/1/05

Liz

Dec 1, 2005, 5:32:08 PM12/1/05
Max wrote:

> -All personalities ?

31 seconds, with a 512 mb machine (eg half recommended), jcl/jvcl,
secure black box, some crud of my own, toolbar 97, toolbar 2000, tbx,
synedit, addict 3, couple of experts, castalia..

John Jacobson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:56:12 PM12/1/05
Ingvar Anderberg <what...@foundit.com> wrote in message
<438f...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> "John Jacobson" skrev i meddelandet
>
> > Given how expensive it is, I suppose my wife wouldn't be too happy if I bought
> > D2006 before I landed my next gig. Rats.
> >

> can't you also buy something for her, a flower perhaps :)

Actually, the way things are looking I might not have to wait too long to get
back in the saddle again anyway. But yeah, I know the strategy of which you
speak. All men that have survived long-term relationships with women have
learned said strategy. You have to give in order to take. It is the calculus of
consent.

I just today learnt that JK is scheduled to demo D2006 here in March. I don't
know if I can wait that long.

But then, my beloved D2005 with CodeExplorer installed is so much fun to use.
That helps ease the pain. <g>

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.1768

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 5:59:59 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

>Installing mine now.... :)

It's all installed and working...

1. The startup time is way better than D2005. For second and subsequent
runs it starts up in around 14 seconds on this PC using the full 'Borland
Developer Studio 2006' icon. D2005 takes around 24 seconds. It's even
faster if you start it using the 'Delphi Win32 Only' personality icon -
around 8 seconds.

2. There's a new, funky splash screen.

3. The IDE looks terrific. Lots of little improvements like the single
'X' to close tabs, newly laid out component palette with better icons,
plus it's all so snappy compared with D2005. A little bit flickery when
switching between forms maybe, but nothing to worry about.

4. New automatic code templates are very cool. For instance you type
'for' and press the space bar, and it automatically inserts 'for I := 0 to
List.Count-1'. And they are all fully configurable too, you can make them
'manual' instead of 'auto' so that they don't drive you nuts; you can edit
them; in fact there seems to be a whole language there waiting to be
discovered. It should be easy to add templates to automatically add
proper procedure header comments like GExperts does, etc. etc.

5. Loads of new refactorings - all sorts of things. For instance there's
a 'Push Member Up' refactoring that moves a member function up ino the
parent class, with an option to make it virtual.

6. All my component libraries compiled and installed, with no crashes or
other weirdness. Even my OTA wizards. Everything just worked! Even with
the service packs D2005 was never this stable - there were always those
random AVs and things to contend with.

But so far I'm just scratching the surface. More details later. Like
there's a whole C++ personality to explore!

But a great first impression - especially the stability.

John Howe

Dec 1, 2005, 7:05:05 PM12/1/05
Hi Max,

16 seconds Win32 - A whole load of third party libs including full
DevEx etc.

35 seconds for All personalities, same libs.

But who cares about startup times, if it does not die like 2005 did
which it does not, you only have to start it once<g>

JED

Dec 1, 2005, 6:02:52 PM12/1/05
Max wrote:

> Who can verify some QC's with D200*6*?

OK I had a quick look...

> http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=1907

Don't have time to look at this yet

> http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=6926

Says that it is fixed but don't have D2006 installed here to check at
this moment

> http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=8503

Er, it is closed As Designed

> http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=14998

LOL. How can anyone test that when the German Personal Edition (if such
a version will exist)

> http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=20937

I am thinking this will be closed as "As Designed"

--
Compact Framework IDE support for Delphi 2005 - v1.0 Available Now
Latest information: http://www.jed-software.com/cf.htm

Release Candidate available for JED, QC - QualityCentral Win32 client
Download if from: http://www.jed-software.com

Robin

Dec 1, 2005, 7:16:35 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:
[..]

> But so far I'm just scratching the surface. More details later. Like
> there's a whole C++ personality to explore!
>
> But a great first impression - especially the stability.

[..]

Thanks Colin (Even if I am seething with envy!)

Keep it coming if you get time and can drag yourself away from it!

--
Robin.
<disclaimer> Not an expert </disclaimer>

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:28:54 PM12/1/05
Liz wrote:

>31 seconds, with a 512 mb machine

14 seconds with my AMD 64 3200 with 1Gb for the 'full' personality.

8 seconds for the 'Delphi Win32 Only' personality.

The good thing is, it's all responsive as soon as it's loaded. VS 2005
loads in less than 2 seconds. But the first time you load a project it
takes several seconds; when you click on the Toolbox tab the first time it
takes another few seconds. When you run the project the first time
there's another wait, etc.

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:30:23 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

>14 seconds with my AMD 64 3200 with 1Gb for the 'full' personality.
>
>8 seconds for the 'Delphi Win32 Only' personality.

Sorry - I should have mentioned that these are for the second and
subsequent runs. The first run after a reboot takes longer.

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:21:42 PM12/1/05
Max wrote:

>Who can verify some QC's with D200*6*?
>
>http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=1907

Not reported as fixed, but the problem doesn't seem to occur any more
using the test code in the QC report. When it draws the 10 rectangles on
top of each other, they don't drift.

So - fixed!

>http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=6926

Closed as Fixed.

>http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=8503

Closed as 'As Designed'

>http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=14998

'AV when you start and quit Delphi using the Win32 personality, German
version'

I can't test this because I don't have the German version. It's not
reported as fixed, but it's the sort of thing that might well have been
fixed along the way.

>http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=20937

Yes, this still happens when converting a Delphi7 project to a Delphi 2006
one. It's simply that the default for 'Position' is now poDefaultPosOnly
instead of poDesigned, and seeing as default property values aren't saved
you see this behaviour.

IMHO(!) it's not really a problem - just something to be aware of when
converting old projects.

John Jacobson

Dec 1, 2005, 7:50:00 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
<438f8e7f$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> It's all installed and working...

Did you compile and run Xananews from it yet?

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:52:56 PM12/1/05
John Jacobson wrote:

>>It's all installed and working...
>
>Did you compile and run Xananews from it yet?

Of course - that's the first thing I tried. I haven't got the official
D2006 versions of MadExcept yet so I had to do a bit of fiddling with it,
but otherwise it all works fine.

In fact I'm using it to post this mess&Ł)Ł"$)&!"$!^&%"Ł*

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 6:53:45 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

>mess&Ł)Ł"$)&!"$!^&%"Ł*

;) Only kidding!

John Jacobson

Dec 1, 2005, 8:02:47 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
<438f...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> >mess&Ł)Ł"$)&!"$!^&%"Ł*
>
> ;) Only kidding!

LOL.

Seriously though, that you were able to compile Xananews that quickly/easily is
a good testament to backward compatibility in D2006.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Dec 1, 2005, 7:09:42 PM12/1/05
JED wrote:

> > http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=8503
>
> Er, it is closed As Designed

Also check my comment, which contains the resolution comment from the
internal system.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Colin Wilson

Dec 1, 2005, 7:47:00 PM12/1/05
John Jacobson wrote:

>Seriously though, that you were able to compile Xananews that
>quickly/easily is a good testament to backward compatibility in D2006.

Actually I did have to tweak one component. It Was an
invisible-at-runtime component that hijacked the main form's messages with
SetWindowLong (... GWL_WNDPROC). It made incorrect assumptions about
creation orders of things, so it was my fault really.

Kyle A. Miller

Dec 1, 2005, 8:59:20 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:
> In fact I'm using it to post this mess&Ł)Ł"$)&!"$!^&%"Ł*

LOL! Static in the line eh?

John Jacobson

Dec 1, 2005, 10:14:21 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
<438fa794$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Actually I did have to tweak one component. It Was an
> invisible-at-runtime component that hijacked the main form's messages with
> SetWindowLong (... GWL_WNDPROC). It made incorrect assumptions about
> creation orders of things, so it was my fault really.

That's it! I'm leaving Borland for MSFT tools! If Borland refuses to prevent
developers' own mistakes then I refuse to buy their products! They surely are
doomed. Doomed, doomed, doomed I tells ya! The sky is falling!

Not!

Jon Robertson

Dec 1, 2005, 10:41:47 PM12/1/05
> 6. All my component libraries compiled and installed, with no
> crashes or other weirdness. Even my OTA wizards. Everything just
> worked! Even with the service packs D2005 was never this stable -
> there were always those random AVs and things to contend with.

Are you able to debug your MMC Plug-In framework?

BTW, I've already played with the framework and I'm using it in an
upcoming project at the office. Good stuff!

--
Jon Robertson
Borland Certified Advanced Delphi 7 Developer

Jon Robertson

Dec 1, 2005, 10:46:30 PM12/1/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

> The good thing is, it's all responsive as soon as it's loaded. VS
> 2005 loads in less than 2 seconds. But the first time you load a
> project it takes several seconds; when you click on the Toolbox tab
> the first time it takes another few seconds. When you run the
> project the first time there's another wait, etc.

Depending on your machine, you might see some delay the first time a
framework is loaded during a session. (i.e. loading VcL or VCL.NET or
WinForms.) BDS 2006, according to what I've heard, does not load the
framework until it is needed. But once it is loaded, it stays loaded
for that session.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure Allen or someone can correct me. :-P

Eric Grange

Dec 2, 2005, 3:26:50 AM12/2/05
Good news!

Though I will still wait for demo and a few months before getting
my expectations too high ^_^

Eric

Ingvar Nilsen

Dec 2, 2005, 3:42:32 AM12/2/05
Colin Wilson wrote:

> VS 2005 loads in less than 2 seconds. But the first time you load a
> project it takes several seconds; when you click on the Toolbox tab
> the first time it takes another few seconds. When you run the
> project the first time there's another wait, etc.

There is nothing wrong with this approach, and you are exaggerating.
As a matter of fact, I hope Borland also uses this to some extent in
BDS. Why? Because there is a lot of features you probably won't use
anyway, so why load them?

The reason VS .Net behaves like you say is probably .Net code that
compiles in the background. This is done once, and the next time the IDE
is started you should not experience this.

When this is said, we are of course all excited about the good first
impressions about BDS 2006 people have!

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Pete Goodwin

Dec 2, 2005, 3:05:34 AM12/2/05
John Howe wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> A very wet UPS man delivered D2006 a couple of hours ago, up and
> running and looking good.
>
> Weird, it seems to have hi the UK B4 the U.S.A

> Regards
>
> John Howe
> http://www.atobviac.com

If you use the action manager, and double click on the component, does
it hide behind the main window if you click away from it?

--
Pete Goodwin
Cheesed off Kylix, C++ Builder V6 and Delphi 2005 owner

Chema

Dec 2, 2005, 4:19:45 AM12/2/05
Pre-ordered or SA?

Thanks,

Chema

Venkatesh VT

Dec 2, 2005, 3:35:13 AM12/2/05

Can some one from Borland clarify whether