Working with fastMM

Clément Doss

Jul 2, 2008, 9:57:27 AM7/2/08

I am working on a few projects using D7 and FastMM 4.78.
I reached a point where setting fastmm for a project, messes the settings for
another. Is there a better option to work with fastmm other then copying it for every
project?

TIA,
Clément

Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Jul 2, 2008, 1:21:44 PM7/2/08

"Clément Doss" <cd...@dhs.com.br> wrote in message

> I reached a point where setting fastmm for a project,
> messes the settings for another.

How so? Please be more specific.

> Is there a better option to work with fastmm other then
> copying it for every project?

Not really.

Gambit

Clément Doss

Jul 2, 2008, 3:36:48 PM7/2/08
Hi Gambit!

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
> "Clément Doss" <cd...@dhs.com.br> wrote in message
>
>> I reached a point where setting fastmm for a project,
>> messes the settings for another.
>
> How so? Please be more specific.

When fine tuning the {$DEFINES} (I'm using Jeremy North interface to set the
options). But all I'm doing in fact is set a "global" setting for fastmm4, and all my
projects will be compiled using this settings. For example: I set FullDebugMode and
LogMemoryLeakDetailToFile. Some projects will crash because the debug DLL is not in
the program path. And they shouldn't, because those projects are fine. So if I don't
remember to change the settings back..
Another case: I'm using Fastmm to share information between the main application and
DLLs. So I must set ShareMM for this project group. But when I get to another project
group, I must change the settings back. When debugging such project I really change
the configuration a LOT. I just don't trust myself returning all the settings back.

In fact 3 large projects should have their "own" copy of fastmm. That's what I did. I
copied FastMM with the correct settings in the project folders. This way, each one
get its own version/setting of fastmm. The other smaller projects can have the
"global" version of Fastmm.

>> Is there a better option to work with fastmm other then
>> copying it for every project?
>
> Not really.

I just figured that there's so many nice features, that I am must probably missing
something. Oh well. Not a problem. I'm just happy with fastmm and just would like to
get the most of it. :-)

Thanks

Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Jul 2, 2008, 3:47:40 PM7/2/08

> When fine tuning the {$DEFINES} (I'm using Jeremy North interface
> to set the options). But all I'm doing in fact is set a "global" setting
> for
> fastmm4, and all my projects will be compiled using this settings.
> For example: I set FullDebugMode and LogMemoryLeakDetailToFile.
> Some projects will crash because the debug DLL is not in the program
> path. And they shouldn't, because those projects are fine. So if I don't
> remember to change the settings back..

FastMM's full debugging features require the DLL. If you don't want the
settings to effect other projects, then each project needs its own .inc file
rather than sharing a common file. Then you can tweak the settings all you
want on a per-project basis.

> Another case: I'm using Fastmm to share information between
> the main application and DLLs. So I must set ShareMM for
> this project group. But when I get to another project group,
> I must change the settings back.

Again, because you are sharing a single settings file amongst multiple
projects instead of giving each project is own local file instead.

> In fact 3 large projects should have their "own" copy of fastmm.

That is what you have to do.

Thanks

Pierre le Riche

Jul 2, 2008, 4:18:30 PM7/2/08
> I reached a point where setting fastmm for a project, messes the
> settings for another. Is there a better option to work with fastmm other
> then copying it for every project?

Yes. Disable all the options in FastMM4Options.inc that will differ
between your applications. Then define the options you need for each
application in the "Project -> Options -> Directories/Conditionals ->
Conditional Defines" dialog. That is what I do.

I've added a new option recently, FullDebugModeInIDE, which causes
FastMM to run in FullDebugMode when it is being run inside the IDE and
to not install itself outside the IDE (which means the standard memory
manager is used outside the IDE, which is essentially also FastMM4 since
D2006). I find that quite useful, since you don't have to recompile
before you distribute EXEs - you can use the same EXE for debugging and
deployment.

Regards,
Pierre

Clément Doss

Jul 3, 2008, 10:50:25 AM7/3/08
Pierre le Riche wrote:
>> I reached a point where setting fastmm for a project, messes the
>> settings for another. Is there a better option to work with fastmm
>> other then copying it for every project?
>
> Yes. Disable all the options in FastMM4Options.inc that will differ
> between your applications. Then define the options you need for each
> application in the "Project -> Options -> Directories/Conditionals ->
> Conditional Defines" dialog. That is what I do.

Wow! That's just great! I will try that one for sure!

> I've added a new option recently, FullDebugModeInIDE, which causes
> FastMM to run in FullDebugMode when it is being run inside the IDE and
> to not install itself outside the IDE (which means the standard memory
> manager is used outside the IDE, which is essentially also FastMM4 since
> D2006). I find that quite useful, since you don't have to recompile
> before you distribute EXEs - you can use the same EXE for debugging and
> deployment.

Any chance that us, poor mortals, can have a "look" in that new feature? :D

Pierre le Riche

Jul 5, 2008, 5:22:12 AM7/5/08
> Any chance that us, poor mortals, can have a "look" in that new feature? :D

Ok, I've uploaded 4.84 to SourceForge.

I still have a "to do" list as long as my arm. Unfortunately work
pressure and the demands of 2 toddlers means I don't often find time to
work on FastMM. :-(

Regards,
Pierre