DLLHost.Exe not being released after AJAX app terminates

Robert Springer

Jul 16, 2008, 6:49:14 PM7/16/08
We have an AJAX application that runs in IE6 and IE7 - when it is launched
we have noticed that the DLLHost.exe with the IWAM_<Machine> user
associtated with it has a certain memory usage footprint.

This memory footprint is reasonable and hence we did not notice a problem.

However, when we exit the AJAX application the DLLHost.exe remains and the
memory footprint is only reduced slightly - if we relaunch the application
the memory footprint increases above the amount that it originally was.

If we repeat this many times, the memory footprint just continues to grow -
on large AJAX apps this has cause problems.

The only way to release this appears to do an IIS-Reset.

The AJAX App does do a CreateOleObject of a runtime DLL that contains our
various commands - we have verified that upon shutting down the reference to
this object is decremented and it appears that it is release - however, I am
not 100% certain of that.

I am sure I will be informed that I have a resource not being freed;
however, I can not locate that resource and my question is "In AJAX is there
something specific that needs to be done on the termination of the app to
insure that the IIS allows for the resource so be freed?"

Thank you

Rabatscher Michael

Jul 17, 2008, 4:30:59 AM7/17/08
Did you test for memory leaks or non released interfaces?
(I think FastMM can help you with those issues)

Pherhaps also this thread can help:
http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security/2002-08/3261.html

kind regards
Mike