Debugging an ISAPI DLL loaded in IIS 6.0

Cody Skidmore

Jul 18, 2008, 9:31:28 AM7/18/08
Can you tell me where to find HowTo resources for debugging ISAPI DLLs
that are loaded into IIS?

Mark Tiede

Jul 18, 2008, 11:29:03 AM7/18/08
Cody,

Which Delphi version?

Dennis Passmore

Jul 18, 2008, 2:02:43 PM7/18/08

Look up the info on W3Wp.exe

to debug ISAPI dll under Delphi

host application :
c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

parameters :
-s 2 -debug

and set your browser ( IE ) to connect http://127.0.0.1/

and also try

http://www.eggcentric.com/ISAPIDebug.htm

Cody Skidmore

Jul 18, 2008, 1:58:18 PM7/18/08
Mark Tiede wrote:
> Which Delphi version?

Delphi 7

Dennis Passmore

Jul 18, 2008, 4:14:41 PM7/18/08

>Can you tell me where to find HowTo resources for debugging ISAPI DLLs
>that are loaded into IIS?

I forgot about these notes from long ago.

Here is a few notes that I keep around that always work for me:
Debugging ISPAI dll processes:

Install project file in a Virtual folder of IIS example: "Scripts"

Using the Internet Information Services - Admin tool select the
Properties for the Virual folder "Scripts" and then set the Application
protection to High (Isolated)

Now open the Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Component Service |
Computers | My Computer | COM+ Applications. Find the COM+ package which
denotes the desired IIS Virtual folder "IIS-{default Web
Site//Root/Scripts}. Right click and select Properties and copy the
"Application ID" GUID to the clipboard.

Select the Identity tab, change selected Account to "System Account"
with "Interactive User" enabled.

Now switch back to the Delphi IDE and select Project\Options dialog.
Click on the Directorys Conditionals tab and set the project Output
Directory to the IIS Virtual folder except prefix the output path as
follows: "\\?\c:\inetpub\scripts" being sure to prefix it with "\\?\".

Now select the Run|Parameters menu option and set the Host Application
to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe" and the Parameters =
{BC4153B1-9E7A-43FB-B2B8-F40DE50DC3B9} equal to the GUID that was
previously saved from the COM+ applications properties for the Virtual
folder.

You should able to debug the ISAPI dll project without a problem now.

Mark Tiede

Jul 22, 2008, 8:23:51 AM7/22/08
"Cody Skidmore" <co...@NOSPAMskidmore.us> wrote in message

> Mark Tiede wrote:
>> Which Delphi version?
>
> Delphi 7

Cody,

Can't you create a project that is a webapp debugger app? I think that
is what I used to do. Then when I was done debugging, I would just
recompile for IIS.

I think if you search on the web there was also a technique of running
inetinfo as the program under delphi. It had to have some special parms.

Cody Skidmore

Aug 5, 2008, 9:58:36 AM8/5/08
Cody Skidmore wrote:
> Can you tell me where to find HowTo resources for debugging ISAPI DLLs
> that are loaded into IIS?
FWIW, I found this guide to setting up IIS as a process and debugging
through it:

http://dn.codegear.com/bg/article/23024

It worked perfectly the first time on Windows XP Pro with IIS 5.x