Re: Disaster with BDS2006 "history"

1 view

nd

Nov 20, 2007, 6:20:23 PM11/20/07
Thanks for your replies, guys, and excuse my late response, I've been busy
reinstalling my machine (for other reasons!).

The one-year-old files was modules I hadn't touched for a long time (well, a
year ago I guess ;-)) that's why they still survived in the history list.

Yes, I worked my way through the history folder, checking file dates, (doing
this manually since "revert" didn't work) so I ended up loosing "only" one
days work. (that's the up-side of the history list I guess, my backup was
older than that...)

However, even after reinstalling the machine/bds and all, THIS HAPPENED
AGAIN!!! Arrrgh!!

I'm pretty convinced this has to do with internationalizing my app. Using
the Integrated Translation Environment, sometimes the resource strings gets
messed up heavily. I have always been able to sort this out with repeated
runs of "Project - Languages -updating localized projects" but not this
time. (well I think I have it sorted now).

My app is using resource string constants for creating directories and
reading/creating some files during startup. Somehow, a corrupt localized
string used against the file system must have triggered this.

From now, I will NEVER debug-run localized versions directly from my source
directory, I *always* copy it to another place first. Cumbersome workaround,
but it seems to make my sourcefiles survive.

Please forgive me for crossposting this to b.p.d.i.g also, maybe someone in
there can find this information useful.

"David M" <vinta...@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> For me, the History view only shows about a dozen past revisions, which is
> half an hour or less for me (I press Ctrl-S instinctively, years of using
> Delphi makes that happen to some folk :)
>
> So having history revisions a year old makes no sense to me at all - did
> you have them checked into your source control system so files from a year
> ago were checked out recently?
>
> As far as your question of seeing this happen goes, no, never! I'm afraid
> I have no suggestions apart from trying to restore the new files from any
> newer files in your history folders - for C++ history at least the entire
> contents of the file are saved, so it might just be the numbering on them
> is wrong and you can sort by date and find newer files.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>

> "nd" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Yesterday, the win32 app I was developing crashed violently during
>> debugging (I think the reason was a mismatch in one of my localized
>> language dll's.)
>>
>> Fair enough. But after recovering (I had to terminate BDS.EXE and
>> reboot my machine), my app suddenly had compile errors. Closer
>> inspection shows, most of my pas and dfm files had been replaced with
>> old versions! Some of the files has been overwritten with an
>> up-to-one-year old version of the same file!
>>
>> No idea why that happened, but when inspecting the hidden __history
>> folder on my backup, I can see these versions does exist there. I
>> cannot see where else they should have come from.
>>
>> Ugh.
>>
>> In addition, in the "history/diff" dialog, I am now unable to select
>> "revert" because that option is disabled. Why?
>>
>> Anyone else seen this? Any miracle workarounds out there?

Marc Rohloff [TeamB]

Nov 20, 2007, 6:45:16 PM11/20/07
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:20:23 +0100, nd wrote:

> Please forgive me for crossposting this to b.p.d.i.g also, maybe someone in
> there can find this information useful.

Please read the newsgroup guidelines:
http://support.codegear.com/newsgroups/guidelines

--