MySQL, MyODBC, Unicode (UTF-8), and Delphi 5

Daniel Levy

Jan 29, 2006, 6:03:53 AM1/29/06

I need a database for keeping UTF-8 encoded text. I'm testing MySQL 5.0.18.
I created a table and inserted some data in UTF-8 format. I can see the data
in correctly (Chinese, Spanish, etc.) using the MySQL Query Browser, but
when I run a query from my application, the text displays differently (I
think its ANSI).

I have tried setting the character set of the table to utf8, and the
specific column character set to utf8. I've also tried configuring the
ODBC's Connect Options to 'set names utf8'; I've also checked options 'Don't
Optimze Column Width', 'Return Matching Rows', and 'Read Options From
my.cnf'.

I'm using mysql-5.0.18 and mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12. I'm developing with
Delphi 5, using TNTware controls (Unicode).

Can somebody please give me any clues? Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Levy

Bernhard Geyer