Re: Cannot change charsets

1 view

Bernhard Geyer

Feb 10, 2006, 4:10:57 PM2/10/06
Forget Charsets/Codepages. This doesn't work with all Controls because
some Win32-Controls ignores this.

Work with Unicode. All other is (in my Opinion) Bullsh...) and will
cause problems in many cases.

If you can spend some $ buy ElPack and you will get Unicode-Support for
Win9x-2003

Richard Lavoie schrieb:
> I am trying to change the charsets property of some visible components.
>
> While some components have no problem adjusting to a different charsets like
> RUSSIAN_CHARSETS such as TEdit, TLabel, others like TButton or TList
> seems to remain unaffected by the Charsets property.
>
> Any idea why this occurs or whether this can be fixed?
>
> Richard
>
> P.S. Sorry for cross-posting but this message remain unanswered after
> several days.

Richard Lavoie

Feb 10, 2006, 8:29:11 AM2/10/06

Igor Siticov

Feb 12, 2006, 3:13:10 AM2/12/06
Hello,

Some Delphi controls like TButton, TCombobox and others are just wrappers of
Windows
native controls and they draw themselves using the Default Locale settings
independent from Charset settings, this is why when you set regional
settings to non-Russian these controls displayed incorrectly. In order to
fix this problem you can replace these controls with either controls that
use Charset while drawing, like TBitBtn instead of TButton, or use Unicode
controls like TNT Controls from http://www.tntware.com (add support for
Unicode under NT-based OS)

--
Best regards.
TsiLang Components Suite - Best Globalization Tool 2004

"Richard Lavoie" <RichardLavoieAThotmai.com> wrote in message

Richard Lavoie

Feb 12, 2006, 2:09:58 PM2/12/06

"Bernhard Geyer" <Bernhar...@nospam.de> wrote in message

> Forget Charsets/Codepages. This doesn't work with all Controls because
> some Win32-Controls ignores this.
>
> Work with Unicode. All other is (in my Opinion) Bullsh...) and will cause
> problems in many cases.

Supporting unicode should represent a major change to my application. I am
planning to do this but this is a rather long term project since my
application is text analysis and text mining. All I want in the short term
it to allow people to overwrite the Windows setting and display russian,
arabic or greek documents on a Windows system set to another character
format. I want to prevent people from having to change the regional setting
in order to display the text the way the want.

My guess is that even if I use Unicode compatible controls, I will have to
do other internal changes (use WideStrings rather than normal strings) to
the program to make it Unicode compatible. Can I just use the Unicode
controls, change the font charsets and don't make any internal changes to
the program?

Richard

Bernhard Geyer

Feb 12, 2006, 4:28:01 PM2/12/06
> My guess is that even if I use Unicode compatible controls, I will have to
> do other internal changes (use WideStrings rather than normal strings) to
> the program to make it Unicode compatible. Can I just use the Unicode
> controls, change the font charsets and don't make any internal changes to
> the program?

You must change alle String to WideStrings, but you don't have to chaneg
any charsets. It's a bigger changes but it's the only solution to get a
100% solution.

Richard Lavoie

Feb 13, 2006, 11:20:58 AM2/13/06
Just a question about WideStrings. My application is memory intensive. If
I analyze english text and hold a lot of WideStrings into memory, will they
take twice the amount of memory even if I analyze english text. This would
be a major problem for me since it would reduce by almost half the size of
the projects that could be analyzed.

Richard

"Bernhard Geyer" <Bernhar...@nospam.de> wrote in message

Bernhard Geyer

Feb 13, 2006, 12:27:01 PM2/13/06
> Just a question about WideStrings. My application is memory intensive. If
> I analyze english text and hold a lot of WideStrings into memory, will they
> take twice the amount of memory even if I analyze english text. This would
> be a major problem for me since it would reduce by almost half the size of
> the projects that could be analyzed.

Yes. And it's even worser. For WideStrings, no Reference counting is used.

Does your program need so much memory so "normal" actual PC's doesn't
have enough?

Richard Lavoie

Feb 14, 2006, 8:41:58 AM2/14/06

"Bernhard Geyer"wrote:

> Does your program need so much memory so "normal" actual PC's doesn't have
> enough?

Yes! There is an option to use disk or memory as the working space, but
typically, 512Mb is the minimum amount of memory required when analyzing a
large amount of documents. The software was designed to analyze huge
amounts of documents (tens of thousands).

Richard