Need to selectively "Add Files" to a vss 6.0 project when using delphi 5

fig000

Jul 2, 2008, 12:43:23 PM7/2/08

My company has never used source control before (too few people).
Now that we are getting bigger we've purchased vss 6.0 (we got it a
low price in case we decided it wasn't right for us-getting the
latest
version (2005) didn't seem cost effective since we aren't
using .net).

I did some of my first experiments yesterday and found that you
can't put everything into source control with delphi 5. There are dcu
(delphi compiled units) files that get updated on a compile and, of
course, the exe files. If these are inlcuded in source control by
including them in an "Add Files" in sourcesafe, they then have to be
checked out before compilation. For large delphi projects, which may
contain a number of these units, this can be a pain.

I've looked at selective uploading and the "masks" offered are not
helpful (they are for MS products). I tried to find a way to exclude
certain file types that I didn't want under source control (e.g. the
backup files generated when editing, the dcu and exe files) but
couldn't find anything that would allow me to exclude files. I also
couldn't find anything about automating the "Add Files" process to
programatically exclude the files I don't want.

Since I'll only be doing the Add files once or twice, it isn't a
big deal. However, considering how much source code we have, doing
the
Add Files by hand and choosing the files I want in the dialog box
would be next to impossible. Likewise uploading everything and then
deleteing the ones I don't want would be error-prone.

Is there any way I can selectively add files to a vss 6.0 project.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fig000