Different compile times for same app

1 view

dwilbourn

Jan 14, 2008, 10:54:23 AM1/14/08
I am using 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop to develop an
application. Both have virtually the same Delphi 5 + components
installed as I move the app back & forth as circumstances dictate. I
have noticed though that the Laptop takes about 8 secs to compile the
app while the Desktop (which is a nominally faster PC) takes about 35
secs for the same operation (both compiling from a previously compiled
app). A similar time difference is present in all normal usage, for
example when running after code changes.

Using the Compiler Progress dialog, it would appear that the compile
freezes at the end of the Program Uses section (i.e. after all
the .pas files have been called). This freeze lasts about 30 secs
during which time no disc activity occurs but the Delphi32 process
thread shows lots of activity.

I am fairly certain that this is a recent thing (the desktop used to
be as faster or faster than the laptop) but of course I have no idea
when exactly it occurred or what I did/installed to cause it.

I have checked though all the options on both machines and have
reinstalled D5 + all the components on the Desktop to no avail. The
only big difference I can see is that the Desktop has the Jedi JCL
Options showing in the IDE (this was not installed on the Laptop
though the Jedi components are).

Another odd difference is that the Laptop reports the source as 182000
lines but the Desktop reports 205000 lines.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what may be causing the big
slowdown?