Slow Paradox tables

AQDS

Aug 17, 2010, 5:21:37 PM8/17/10
to red...@spokanecleanair.org
I am using Delphi 5, Paradox 8 tables and BDE 5.01. Some of my users
have noted that the table speed is really making work hard for them.
The tables as well as the netdir file are on network drives. We have a
gigabit network. The file server that hosts the data directories is a
2.4GHz Intel Xeon with 2GB of RAM, so I doubt the network or server
speed is part of the issue.

I have one application with >20K records in linked tables (as well as
other tables used for reference and lookup). At any one time, there
may be more than 9 users that have it opened. Also, there is a mini
version of this program that at least 5 people have open at the same
time, some in addition to the main program. Sometimes this program
takes a good deal of time to open, maneuver through, and especially
print reports from.

There is another program that we use as a time sheet. It doesn't have
as many records (6K+ after a year and 2 months), but it opens slowly
and runs less efficiently than some of our people have time for. It
also has a lot of links and queries in the program for special
calculations, views and reporting.

We also have a simple In Out Board with only 25 records and no
inserting appending or deleting of records. It opens quicker than the
other databases, but not as quick as it should. Again, almost
everyone in the office has it opened at the same time.

In describing my problem, it looks like there is a constant similarity
between these databases, and that is the correlation of speed to users
(the more the users, the slower the database). Has Paradox out lived
its usefulness, or is there another answer?