I can't seem to breech the UML to CBuilder gap ...

Nick Rambarransingh

Sep 13, 2004, 3:03:27 PM9/13/04

Good Day All,

I am fairly new to UML. I have been trying to figure out how
to map the "MODEL" to the actuall application. Lets say I have
a MIDAS application, with an AppServer and a client. I am
royally confused about how to model this - I can not seem to
figure out where to begin.

I have read different articles from the Borland Site on UML:
Practical UML-A hands on introduction for Develpers; Modeling
Use Case with Borland Tools; and a host of other white papers.

I have been toying with ArgoUML and WithClass99 as a modeling
tool. I basically understand what most of the diagrams are for,
and I can make UseCase, Sequence, and Class Diagrams. However,
once I say 'Generate Code', How do I create an application from
that? There are classes that are on the Server, and others on
the client. I am trying to use MIDAS, so how do I depict this,
where/what is a RemoteDataModule placed, etc. I think I am
missing the part where I turn the model into a physical
Application.

Please advise.

Thank you very much,
Nick

Harold Howe [TeamB]

Sep 20, 2004, 3:49:54 PM9/20/04

> I am fairly new to UML.

> I have been toying with ArgoUML and WithClass99 as a modeling tool.

I prefer Boone Whiteboard 1.5, supplemented with Engineering Lab Notbook
2004 from a local university bookstore.

Seriously, if you are new to UML, I suggest that you start out drawing
diagrams by hand.

What is the purpose of a UML model? Usually, its primary purpose is to
help you figure out how to write the code. If this is the case, a
whiteboard or a pen and paper will most likely be sufficient. Expensive
tools usually do too much, and can slow you down until you become
proficient.

Some people also use a UML model as a form of documentation once the
code exists, in which case a software based tool makes sense. However,
these efforts are prone to failure because the model is rarely kept up
to date with the code. People end up distrusting the model and going
straight to the code anyway.

Some UML tools can help stub out code. Together does this. This can
help, but if you are new UML, I would wait until you become proficient
with diagramming before trying it with a software based tool.

H^2